couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Kowalski <...@kowalski.gd>
Subject Re: GSoc 2015 | COUCHDB-1743 Make the view server & protocol faster
Date Sat, 21 Mar 2015 15:38:10 GMT
Hi Buddhika,

no worries - the preparation for each GSoC project is different for
every student. Some projects need more background knowledge in advance
and have to integrate in other way into the codebase, so don't worry
that other folks are submitting code!

I would suggest to start writing the proposal as far as you can, we
will also give you feedback. The deadline is for submissions is soon.

I tried to write up some tips for writing the two sections you are
worried about:

For the "background" section you can just rely on the informations the
community provides plus the background information you gained from
reading the docs (e.g. the current QueryServer protocol [1], the way
the QueryServer operates today and more general informations, like how
you query CouchDB and how you are writing views) - so no worries!

Regarding the design/description: Jan already gave some suggestions
regarding the steps that are needed. Are there steps missing in
between? How do you measure the success of the project? How do you
plan to work together with Jan & the community? Also describe how you
going to work: are you planning to work iterative, waterfall, using
techniques like test-driven-development, by building a prototype etc?

I hope I could provide some hints!

[1] http://docs.couchdb.org/en/1.6.1/query-server/protocol.html

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 6:58 AM, Buddhika Jayawardhana
<buddhika.12@cse.mrt.ac.lk> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I I saw some other applicants are submitting pieces of codes. But I am
> still reading the documents Jan and others have sent me.
>

>    - I am middle of learnYouSomeErlang book.
>    - I have around 8 chapters to read in Couch-DB "The Definitive Guide".
>    - Lots of documentation.
>    - Most of the source code.
>

> I looked at the template that you have sent me and it requires a
> description about the current situation of the project. And design/
> description of the work.
> I do not have any confidence to write those two paragraphs. But I can start
> to write the proposal based on the thinks that Jan have described(Though I
> don't understand all of them). Shall I start that way? or is there any
> other better way.
>
> Waiting for your advices.
>
> On 21 March 2015 at 08:14, Robert Kowalski <rok@kowalski.gd> wrote:
>
>> Hi Buddhika,
>>
>> the deadline for proposals is getting closer, do you have any
>> questions? Is there anything we can help you with?
>>
>> Jan, the ML and I are happy to help!
>>
>> Best,
>> Robert
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Buddhika Jayawardhana
>> <buddhika.12@cse.mrt.ac.lk> wrote:
>> > Thanks Alexander. I'll try this out.

>> query

>> I've