couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Nadeeshaan Gunasinghe <nadeeshaangunasin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSOC 2015 [Visualize document revision tree and navigate betweenthese revisions]
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 12:15:06 GMT
Hi Robert,
According to the suggestions of Alex I re designed the Interface. It will
be great if you can give some feedback regarding the current UI.
I will point to each suggestion as follows,

*1. Tree could be wide. Very wide and tall. Proposed interface has a quite
small limit for amount of conflicts which could be showed without having
horizontal scrolling. How this is  suppose to be handled? *
Tree is being shown inside a scrollable (Horizontal and vertical only if
the tree does not fit in side the pane) pane in which we can click on the
nodes and traverse the tree allowing much wider as well as taller trees

*2. Tree is used to only to look it at and browse document for each
selected revision, but also to apply some kind of operation: "revert to",
delete, merge, etc. Proposed interface doesn't assumes to have any bar for
such operations.*
Above the tree's display pane there is a drop down select in order to
select the desired operation to be done. As an example merge, revert to,
etc.
Ex: If you select the merge option then you are allowed to select two tree
nodes. If you select delete option or explore (Default Option) then you are
allowed to select one node.
When you select such option, as an example merge, two nodes' document
content will be shown in the two document view panes. Relevant revision id
is shown above the corresponding pane.

*3. Document content for some revisions may not be available. What will be
showed on the right pane in this case?*
If the content of a revision is not available then the pane will be left
blank (No more right side pane in the available pane)

*4. During the conflict resolution, or merge, you'll need to see both
conflict documents and the result of their merge.  How proposed interface
could help with that?*
At the top right corner above the display panes there is an icon of eye.
Clicking on it, a modal opens and shows the result of the operation

*5. Will navigation to revision tree page be available from document view
page?*
Yes. This issue had addressed in the previous version. In which we are
adding a link to each document (A tree icon left to the pencil icon) which
redirect to the revision tree page.

*Features for operations.*
Explore
Revert to
Merge

In the operation selection drop down there is a default option *"Explore" *when
this is selected "eye icon", "Apply Button" will be disabled. Also only one
pane will be shown for loading the document content
Delete works as same and only the "Apply Button" won't be disabled

At the moment I focused on the above options only depending on the options
we can to alterations for the UI based on the current View. During the
implementation there may be slight changes of the designed, but the basic
structure will remain same.

Links to the UIs,

Documents view:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oezvfztq9abqtv5/alldocs_added_tree_icon.png?dl=0