couchdb-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From madhuka udantha <madhukaudan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Summary of IRC Meeting in #couchdb-meeting
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2015 13:54:02 GMT
Thanks for information

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 6:35 PM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:

> There wasn't any announcements, so much likely no. Personally, I
> cannot run it today.
> --
> ,,,^..^,,,
>
>
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 11:30 AM, madhuka udantha
> <madhukaudantha@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Will the weekly meeting be held today?
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 3:16 AM, ASF IRC Bot <
> asfbot@urd.zones.apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Summary of IRC Meeting in #couchdb-meeting at Wed Mar 18 20:01:39 2015:
> >>
> >> Attendees: Wohali, arun_agarwal, Buddhika, Kxepal, Ndeeshaan,
> >> sebastianrothbuc, nslater, jan____, klaus_trainer, robertkowalski,
> >> rkowalski__
> >>
> >> - Preface
> >> - fauxton status
> >> - rcouch merge
> >> - couchperuser
> >> - Google Summer of Code (GSoC)
> >>   - Action: robertkowalski to start vote for couchperuser
> >> - couchdb-www / www@c.a.o
> >> - couchdbdocker
> >> - nano import
> >> - _bulk_revs
> >> - 2.0
> >>   - Action: robertkowalski writes a text about the process
> >>   - Action: Kxepal and jan____ to figure out consolidation of install
> >> instructions
> >>
> >>
> >> IRC log follows:
> >>
> >> ## Preface ##
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:02:48 2015] <robertkowalski>: I would like to welcome
> >> Ndeeshaan who participates in this gsoc
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:02:55 2015] <robertkowalski>: :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:02:57 2015] <robertkowalski>: hi!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:03:17 2015] <arun_agarwal>: I am also a first timer here
> :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:03:21 2015] <sebastianrothbuc>: great - welcome!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:03:38 2015] <robertkowalski>: hi arun_agarwal! welcome!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:03:55 2015] <arun_agarwal>: Hi Robert and everyone in the
> >> team.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:04:15 2015] <jan____>: heya arun_agarwal & Ndeeshaan
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:04:21 2015] <Ndeeshaan>: Hi all
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:04:51 2015] <Kxepal>: Ndeeshaan: arun_agarwal hi and
> >> welcome (:
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:07:56 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: wanna go with your
> >> topics?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:08:08 2015] <robertkowalski>: ok!
> >> ## fauxton status ##
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:09:00 2015] <robertkowalski>: the fauxton testsuite
> >> (integration tests) will be running on couchdb 2 soon, PR is already in
> >> review
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:09:34 2015] <robertkowalski>: for the mango interface
> that
> >> means that we can write integration tests for it.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:09:47 2015] <robertkowalski>: current status of mango:
> you
> >> can create indexes and list them
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:10:04 2015] <robertkowalski>: garren currently works on
> >> rewriting the all-docs-list to react
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:10:36 2015] <robertkowalski>: if you know fauxton, you
> will
> >> know that the all-docs-list is a horrible, grown, godobject the refactor
> >> solves a lot of problems
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:11:16 2015] <jan____>: nice!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:11:17 2015] <robertkowalski>: michelle rewrites
> activetasks
> >> in react
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:11:32 2015] <robertkowalski>: and we have a lot of
> smaller
> >> bugfixes in the pipeline
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:12:14 2015] <robertkowalski>: it think that's it for
> >> fauxton, i expect the first part of mango getting merged next week,
> behind
> >> a small feature-flip
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:12:22 2015] <robertkowalski>: so interested folks can
> test
> >> it already
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:12:33 2015] <robertkowalski>: and the code is integrated
> >> into master
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:12:49 2015] <jan____>: why a feature flip?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:13:12 2015] <robertkowalski>: currently it is just
> possible
> >> to create and list indexes
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:13:15 2015] <robertkowalski>: not to query
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:13:44 2015] <robertkowalski>: but i would like to
> integrate
> >> into master early and don't want users think it is a bug and create jira
> >> tickets
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:13:53 2015] <robertkowalski>: + to
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:14:14 2015] <jan____>: got it, thanks!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:14:19 2015] <robertkowalski>:
> >> http://locahlhost:8000/mydatabase?beta=enableQuery
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:14:30 2015] <robertkowalski>: and then the menu-point
> gets
> >> visible
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:15:25 2015] <jan____>: cool trick :)
> >> ## rcouch merge ##
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:15:50 2015] <robertkowalski>: jan____: yes, easy as pie
> but
> >> very useful
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:16:07 2015] <robertkowalski>: i was wondering what the
> >> status of the rcouch merge is
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:16:22 2015] <robertkowalski>: and Kxepal answered on the
> ML
> >> that one feature got merged, the others not
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:16:25 2015] <Wohali>: not sure rnewson or davisp are here
> >> to talk about it
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:16:33 2015] <Kxepal>: robertkowalski: it's stalled. we
> need
> >> a hero and benoitc to pick the features from those branch
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:16:52 2015] <Wohali>: some of the features are
> incompatible
> >> in their current state, or are broken by clustering
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:17:17 2015] <Kxepal>: but some features are very useful
> >> like lagger configuration
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:17:25 2015] <robertkowalski>: hmmm... is it still
> supposed
> >> to land in 2.0?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:17:33 2015] <Kxepal>: robertkowalski: partially
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:17:45 2015] <Wohali>: the logging configuration has been
> >> touched differently on master with lager
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:17:46 2015] <Kxepal>: full merge wasn't in priority
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:18:15 2015] <Wohali>: i think making any more rcouch
> merge
> >> actions for 2.0 a priority will significantly delay its release
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:18:24 2015] <Wohali>: not saying there's not useful stuff
> >> but beware scope creep!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:18:55 2015] <robertkowalski>: fully agreed!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:19:20 2015] <Wohali>: moving on unless there's more to
> say
> >> here
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:19:20 2015] <jan____>: yeah, I think we agreed on getting
> >> 2.0 out and then port over more things
> >> ## couchperuser ##
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:19:43 2015] <robertkowalski>: klaus_trainer pinged me
> >> yesterday
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:20:18 2015] <robertkowalski>: he would like to move
> >> couchperuser to the asf and would also like to maintain it
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:20:21 2015] <jan____>: Bob Ippolito wrote this little
> >> plugin that creates a user DB when a user signs up.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:20:31 2015] <jan____>: it’s small and useful and he’d
be
> >> fine with donating it to the ASF
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:20:40 2015] <robertkowalski>: thanks jan, sorry for not
> >> providing context
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:20:41 2015] <jan____>: I wouldn’t mind taking this on
as
> an
> >> off-by-default feature
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:21:04 2015] <jan____>: plus klaus is already working on
> >> making it for 2.0 etc.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:21:09 2015] <Wohali>: +1, off-by-default, assuming there
> >> are some tests added and it doesn't break in clustered mode
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:21:13 2015] <klaus_trainer>: See
> >> https://github.com/KlausTrainer/couchperuser
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:21:20 2015] <Kxepal>: I guess we need to run a vote and
> IP
> >> clearance then
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:21:32 2015] <jan____>: I’d be happy to be the officer
> that
> >> runs the import paperwork
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:21:49 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: thank you a lot for that!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:21:59 2015] <jan____>: Wohali: has tests, don’t know
> about
> >> cluster mode yet, klaus_trainer?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:22:22 2015] <Buddhika>: Hi peple :D
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:22:22 2015] <jan____>: been doing imports lately, don’t
> >> mind it :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:22:29 2015] <klaus_trainer>: Currently there are no tests
> >> that we can use right now.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:22:35 2015] <robertkowalski>: i am happy to help out
> >> jan____ if klaus_trainer has questions, as i did that for mango with
> jan____
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:22:37 2015] <Wohali>: jan____: as always the hard thing
> is
> >> that many plugins make assumptions that aren't cluster-safe, e.g. being
> the
> >> "only" node involved in something, making assumptions about locking
> things
> >> down, etc.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:23:19 2015] <jan____>: Wohali: yeah, looking forward how
> >> klaus_trainer is solving this :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:23:23 2015] <Wohali>: yay
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:23:40 2015] <Wohali>: i'd say get the ip clearance done,
> >> put in a branch, hopefully clean up for official 2.0 release
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:24:20 2015] <Wohali>: anything else?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:24:32 2015] <klaus_trainer>: Sounds good. I'm definitely
> >> willing to do more work on it assuming that we can integrate it.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:24:38 2015] <Wohali>: yay
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:24:40 2015] <Wohali>: moving on
> >> ## Google Summer of Code (GSoC) ##
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:24:46 2015] <robertkowalski>: shall i kick off a vote on
> >> the dev-ml for the codebase?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:24:51 2015] <jan____>: in addition, would say this isn’t
> >> blocking 2,0
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:25:06 2015] <Wohali>: agreed, not a 2.0 blocker, get it
> in
> >> a branch and put in 2.0 if we can make it sane
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:25:23 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: +1
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:25:49 2015] <robertkowalski>: ok
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:26:04 2015] <robertkowalski>: so we are particiapting in
> >> this years google summer of code!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:26:17 2015] <jan____>: #action robertkowalski to start
> vote
> >> for couchperuser
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:26:22 2015] <jan____>: \o/
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:26:38 2015] <klaus_trainer>: Yay!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:26:48 2015] <robertkowalski>: Ndeeshaan and Buddhika are
> >> also here today
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:27:13 2015] <robertkowalski>: I think we have 5 students
> >> that are interested
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:27:38 2015] <robertkowalski>: and the deadline for the
> >> proposals is in 1-2weeks
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:28:12 2015] <Ndeeshaan>: 27 th of March is the deadline
> >> precisely :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:28:46 2015] <robertkowalski>: we are still searching for
> >> mentors, jan____ is mentoring the queryserver protocol improvements,
> and i
> >> am mentoring for fauxton
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:29:19 2015] <robertkowalski>: but more mentors would be
> >> even better! :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:29:20 2015] <Wohali>: i'm sorry that i can't volunteer
> this
> >> time
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:30:11 2015] <robertkowalski>: Buddhika: I will look for
a
> >> template for the proposal tonight for you and Ndeeshaan
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:30:24 2015] <robertkowalski>: and the other students
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:30:40 2015] <Buddhika>: That would be great
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:30:46 2015] <jan____>: Wohali: do not worry! <3
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:30:48 2015] <robertkowalski>: Wohali: no worries! next
> year!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:31:20 2015] <Ndeeshaan>: robertkowalski: Thanks a lot
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:31:36 2015] <robertkowalski>: we are also happy to help
> >> with the proposals, at least where we can
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:32:25 2015] <robertkowalski>: i think thats it so far
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:32:32 2015] <Buddhika>: We'll try to prepare draft
> >> proposals as soon as possible.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:32:48 2015] <Buddhika>: We have one week to refine them.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:33:27 2015] <robertkowalski>: cool!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:33:38 2015] <Ndeeshaan>: I have completed my draft
> proposal
> >> and I can send it :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:34:17 2015] <robertkowalski>: awesome!
> >> ## couchdb-www / www@c.a.o ##
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:35:49 2015] <jan____>: we have a new git repo couchdb-www
> >> that infra is testing git-based website publishing
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:37:10 2015] <jan____>: it isn’t 100% live yet, but the
EU
> >> mirror of the web server is already backed by it. So if we now want to
> make
> >> any changes, we have to do it in SVN and git, but only for a short
> while,
> >> until more projects signed up to use git and INFRA moves us over fully
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:37:34 2015] <robertkowalski>: jan____: \o/
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:37:43 2015] <jan____>: in addition, we agreed to set up
a
> >> www@c.a.o mailing list and it exists now, but nothing is happening.
> Does
> >> anyone have any insight as to why?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:37:45 2015] <robertkowalski>: jan____: is it on github?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:38:11 2015] <jan____>: no github mirror yet
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:38:14 2015] <robertkowalski>: jan____: i guess everyone
> is
> >> waiting for github to send PRs
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:38:49 2015] <jan____>: yeah, I’ve been pushy, but infra
> is
> >> also busy with other stuff
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:39:26 2015] <robertkowalski>: jan____: at least i am
> doing
> >> that (waiting) before writing to www@ that we have git now
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:39:30 2015] <jan____>: but about www@ — what are we
> >> waiting for?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:40:45 2015] <robertkowalski>: arun_agarwal is also
> >> subscribed waiting for github prs
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:41:31 2015] <robertkowalski>: at least i asked him to do
> >> that
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:42:07 2015] <arun_agarwal>: robertkowalski: yup, true
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:42:09 2015] <jan____>: ok, thanks!
> >> ## couchdbdocker ##
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:45:24 2015] <jan____>: just FYI: The couchdb-docker
> project
> >> is also being imported from github, necessary paperwork on their end has
> >> been filed, next step is getting the IP clearance going, will do that
> this
> >> week.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:45:37 2015] <Kxepal>: \o/
> >> ## nano import ##
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:47:13 2015] <jan____>: Garren has been sorting out the
> >> legal paperwork for nano, and we are close. once that is all done, we’ll
> >> start the usual import procedure, I’m also shepherding that.
> >> ## _bulk_revs  ##
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:48:53 2015] <jan____>: I’m interested in optmising
> >> replication performance using _bulk_revs / COUCHDB-2310
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:49:25 2015] <jan____>: we are basically waiting for a
> patch
> >> from benoitc, but if that doesn’t materialise, I’ll look at doing it
> from
> >> scratch.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:49:38 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: I had a talk with him
> today
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:49:40 2015] <Wohali>: +1 to try from scratch
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:49:51 2015] <Kxepal>: he'll try to find a time to make
it
> >> soon
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:49:53 2015] <jan____>: Kxepal: any news?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:50:15 2015] <jan____>: Kxepal: ok, nice to hear.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:50:46 2015] <robertkowalski>: Kxepal: did he mention a
> >> specific timeframe in that he wants to try to find time?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:50:50 2015] <jan____>: I have a week or two before I can
> >> look into it proper, so that would be my cutoff date
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:51:23 2015] <robertkowalski>: jan____: ah ok, good idea
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:51:24 2015] <Kxepal>: robertkowalski: no, but that's in
> his
> >> priority list todo for couchdb now as I understood.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:52:03 2015] <Kxepal>: so let's give him a little bit time
> >> to finish the job
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:52:13 2015] <jan____>: k
> >> ## 2.0 ##
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:54:19 2015] <robertkowalski>: i was one week away but i
> >> think nothing has happened for 2.0, right?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:54:51 2015] <robertkowalski>: i still did not have time
> to
> >> work on my items, blocked by mango and other stuff
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:54:59 2015] <jan____>: small things, as far as I can see
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:55:02 2015] <Kxepal>: robertkowalski: nothing criminal,
> >> right
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:55:52 2015] <jan____>: I did some local hacking on the
> >> build/packaging stuff, but need to find more time, nothing to show yet
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:56:22 2015] <robertkowalski>: jan____: can i send you a
> pr
> >> with my script that pulls names out of the subrepos?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:56:41 2015] <robertkowalski>: i talked to several people
> >> and they all said we don't need the number of commits
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:57:09 2015] <jan____>: just commit to my branch
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:57:17 2015] <robertkowalski>: because the exact number
of
> >> commits is broken as some commmits are still in the old couchdb master
> >> branch, some not
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:57:34 2015] <arun_agarwal>: jan____: is there any jira
> >> ticket where the hack steps are documented?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:58:00 2015] <jan____>: arun_agarwal: which hack steps
> >> specifically?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:58:15 2015] <arun_agarwal>: jan____: on build/packaging
> >> stuff.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:59:02 2015] <arun_agarwal>: jan____: was just curious,
> >> nothing specific :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:59:17 2015] <jan____>: arun_agarwal: hm, there isn‘t
much
> >> to explain
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:59:36 2015] <jan____>: arun_agarwal: I’m currently
> working
> >> here https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/302
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:59:39 2015] <arun_agarwal>: jan____: ohk. I see, please
> go
> >> ahead.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 20:59:58 2015] <jan____>: there is some feedback that I need
> >> to incorporate
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:00:22 2015] <jan____>: and I think I’m blocked by a
> cyclic
> >> dependency, but I’ll figure it out. Might have to rename ./configure to
> >> ./bootstrap
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:00:34 2015] <jan____>: or strip some stuff from
> ./configure
> >> and move it into a ./bootstrap, but not 100% sure yet
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:00:58 2015] <jan____>: anything else on 2.0?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:00:58 2015] <arun_agarwal>: jan____: sure.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:02:06 2015] <robertkowalski>: oh sebastianrothbuc you
> write
> >> "BTW: so did copying in 1.6.1 files, calling them from local port,
> >> replicating them up to the cluster port." - does that fix COUCHDB-2593
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:02:09 2015] <robertkowalski>: ?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:02:28 2015] <robertkowalski>:
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-2593 - maybe you can
> take a
> >> look later
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:03:03 2015] <sebastianrothbuc>: at least I tried to
> destroy
> >> something in such a setup (i.e. copy "old" 1.6.1 .couch files into the
> 2.0
> >> data dir
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:03:05 2015] <sebastianrothbuc>: but it just works
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:03:10 2015] <sebastianrothbuc>: you get the databases on
> >> the local port
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:03:19 2015] <sebastianrothbuc>: you can create one (same
> >> name) on the cluster port
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:03:20 2015] <sebastianrothbuc>: replicate
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:03:22 2015] <sebastianrothbuc>: and that's it
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:03:23 2015] <jan____>: I’d like to start looking at
> running
> >> the 1.x JS test suite against master, so we can see how compatible 1.x
> and
> >> 2.0 are going to be.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:03:42 2015] <jan____>: This will require some changes and
> >> reorganisation to the tests, but I think it’ll be very worth it, if we
> want
> >> to make upgrades as painless as possible
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:04:02 2015] <jan____>: (nice)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:04:10 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: js test suite need in
> global
> >> refactoring, since it still remember the days when it ran from browsers
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:04:30 2015] <sebastianrothbuc>: can't we run it from
> >> browser again?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:04:38 2015] <Kxepal>: "some changes" may be not a trivial
> >> to made
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:04:59 2015] <Kxepal>: sebastianrothbuc: no, because some
> >> browsers (I didn't mention chome) are buggy on some cases
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:05:07 2015] <jan____>: I know there was a lot of work on
> >> other sort of tests as well, but as far as I can tell, they are all
> >> tailored for 2.0/master. I’m specifically interested in 1.x compat and I
> >> think the JS tests cover the API well and have yet only run against the
> >> local interface
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:05:15 2015] <jan____>: why does it need a major refactor?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:05:37 2015] <jan____>: they run in browsrs and on the CLI
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:05:46 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: because it's full of
> terror
> >> if you're trying to figure why test fails.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:06:06 2015] <jan____>: all we need to do is point them
at
> >> the cluster port and disable the ones that we don’t expect to work
> (_config
> >> etc)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:06:23 2015] <jan____>: Kxepal: I’ve lived in that world
> for
> >> many years, I’m not afraid
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:06:37 2015] <jan____>: and I don’t want to refactor the
> >> tests because I specificallyw ant to run out 1.x suite against 2.0
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:06:44 2015] <jan____>: once we are over, we can do
> whatever
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:06:52 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: not sure to hug you or
> call
> >> a hero
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:07:19 2015] <jan____>: lol <3
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:07:54 2015] <jan____>: I’mma bring this up on dev@
> >> separately to hear from folks
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:08:12 2015] <Kxepal>: good call
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:08:28 2015] <jan____>: I think that will flush out some
> >> more things we need to do, but after that, we are getting closer to the
> >> final stretch
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:09:00 2015] <robertkowalski>: short question reagrding
> the
> >> logo process
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:09:50 2015] <robertkowalski>: i talked to sean and he
> would
> >> take the proposed position on the mailinglist. can i propose him or how
> >> does it work?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:10:53 2015] <jan____>: what do you mean “proposed
> position“
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:11:46 2015] <robertkowalski>: nslater sent an mail to the
> >> mailing list:
> >>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-marketing/201503.mbox/%3CCAPaJBx4gf-yAnMPDGrKnWuN-FsC0dmuBeNLvaVpcDCyAr5CYGQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:12:08 2015] <robertkowalski>: "The community selects a
> >> person or person(s) to
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:12:09 2015] <robertkowalski>: do the design. That person
> is
> >> then entrusted to do the stuff. No
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:12:10 2015] <robertkowalski>: voting necessary.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:12:11 2015] <robertkowalski>: "
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:13:26 2015] <Kxepal>: robertkowalski: ok, but we have a
> >> group of people that made a logo. each own with own vision and
> arguments.
> >> what's now?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:13:31 2015] <jan____>: good question, I think yeah, just
> >> nominate him
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:13:54 2015] <jan____>: design by committee!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:14:11 2015] <robertkowalski>: Kxepal: so far no one got
> >> nominated by anyone
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:14:28 2015] <robertkowalski>: but i am also not sure what
> >> we do if we have multiple nominations.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:14:32 2015] <robertkowalski>: hmm..
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:14:39 2015] <nslater>: I'm at a gig
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:14:47 2015] <robertkowalski>: Wohali: what do you think?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:14:50 2015] <nslater>: just to say: my email was just a
> >> recommendation
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:14:56 2015] <jan____>: I’m in favour of letting a
> >> professional designer take this on. They can work with the other
> proposal
> >> people to figure out which way to go
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:15:01 2015] <nslater>: let's do whatever makes sense
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:15:02 2015] <jan____>: ultimately the PMC decides
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:15:08 2015] <jan____>: nslater: get out of here
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:15:10 2015] <nslater>: my words are not golden
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:15:13 2015] <jan____>: nslater: <3
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:15:16 2015] <nslater>: :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:15:31 2015] <nslater>: cya!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:15:53 2015] <jan____>: what is important: we will hurt
> >> people’s feelings, we need to be prepared to do this
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:16:01 2015] <jan____>: this isn’t everybody throws their
> >> patch/+1 in
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:16:20 2015] <Wohali>: sorry i was lying down
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:16:39 2015] <Wohali>: can someone give me a quick
> question
> >> as to "what do you think" means?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:17:21 2015] <robertkowalski>: Wohali: we are unsure about
> >> the process regarding the logo and how to proceed with the many
> submissions
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:17:31 2015] <jan____>: I like Noah’s suggestion, the
PMC
> is
> >> the customer and makes the final call, they work with a nominated
> designer
> >> that works out one or more proposals with the other community folks.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:17:40 2015] <jan____>: community gets to vote on
> >> preferences, PMC makes a call.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:18:03 2015] <jan____>: I have no qualms about having
> >> Sean/Cloudant be that designer
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:18:04 2015] <Wohali>: agree, PMC is the ajudicator and
> >> probably will result in a PMC vote. We need to review the bylaws on this
> >> one to ensure there's appropriate precedent there
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:19:16 2015] <robertkowalski>: Wohali: you mean adding
> that
> >> process to the bylaws?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:19:21 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: mmm...I'd like to argue
> you,
> >> but not now
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:19:39 2015] <Wohali>: robertkowalski: all standards re:
> >> voting are in the bylaws. not sure if this is covered.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:19:47 2015] <jan____>: Kxepal: let’s do it on marketing@
> —
> >> I’ll reply there
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:19:52 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: ok
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:19:54 2015] <Wohali>: as for picking a designer/design
> >> group, well, that's ultimately also a PMC decision but with community
> input
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:20:13 2015] <Wohali>: in general in the past I've seen
> more
> >> of a "
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:20:15 2015] <Wohali>: oops
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:20:23 2015] <Wohali>: community vote on these things. We
> >> picked the top 5, what do you think?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:20:27 2015] <jan____>: I’d say as per
> >> http://couchdb.apache.org/bylaws.html#types this is the “Create or
> amend
> >> official document” category
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:20:42 2015] <Wohali>: true, logo is an official thing
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:21:10 2015] <Wohali>: tthat says the vote would be on the
> >> dev list, lazy 2/3rds, with PMC members only being  binding votes
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:21:15 2015] <Wohali>: taht is consistent
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:21:34 2015] <Wohali>: but deciding how we get that logo
> >> done is a non-technical decision which is up to the committers
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:21:58 2015] <jan____>: maybe we can simplify things and
> >> just have anyone (including Sean) propose their work, we do a community
> >> preference vote and then PMC decided
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:22:11 2015] <jan____>: no need to make a designer BDFL
> for
> >> the logo, all designers are BDFL for their proposal
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:22:12 2015] <Wohali>: i think that's fair, as long as a
> set
> >> timeline happens
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:22:27 2015] <Wohali>: e.g. all submissions by march 31
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:22:34 2015] <Wohali>: public vote by april 15
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:22:36 2015] <jan____>: Wohali: I’d say how the designers
> >> make the logo is up t them :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:22:39 2015] <Wohali>: pmc decision by april 30
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:22:44 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: Wohali wise ideas
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:22:54 2015] <Wohali>: given we've had a lot of
> submissions
> >> this gives just enough time to pick your best submissions
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:23:01 2015] <Wohali>: we could even say 1 submission per
> >> designer
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:23:01 2015] <jan____>: as long as we have the option to
> >> abort if nothing’s good, I’d be fine with that
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:23:11 2015] <Wohali>: pmc vote could include "d
> onothing,"
> >> sure
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:23:22 2015] <jan____>: I like that
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:23:25 2015] <robertkowalski>: Wohali: great input!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:23:29 2015] <jan____>: get an alter ego if you want to
> have
> >> 2
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:23:38 2015] <Wohali>: hehe, no sock puppets please
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:23:50 2015] <jan____>: cool, that sounds like we have a
> plan
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:23:59 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: do you feel like
> >> writing this up?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:24:03 2015] <jan____>: :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:24:07 2015] <robertkowalski>: Wohali: thank you so much!
> :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:24:12 2015] <Wohali>: it's what I do.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:24:30 2015] <robertkowalski>: jan____: if you could give
> me
> >> a review before i send to the ML
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:24:45 2015] <robertkowalski>: jan____: then for sure!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:24:50 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: always!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:25:23 2015] <jan____>: Wohali: ^5 — thanks for talking
> this
> >> through, I think we’ve got something here.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:25:58 2015] <arun_agarwal>: Wohali: one quick question.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:26:04 2015] <robertkowalski>: one question: if some folks
> >> (commiters, pmc) are against changing the logo
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:26:18 2015] <robertkowalski>: do they vote -1 in the
> >> committer vote?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:26:26 2015] <Wohali>: no no the committer vote is "vote
> for
> >> your favourite"
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:26:31 2015] <Wohali>: and we include the original logo
as
> >> an option
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:26:45 2015] <robertkowalski>: Wohali: ah thank you!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:26:47 2015] <Wohali>: then the PMC vote is to
> accept/reject
> >> the suggestios of the commitmters
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:26:50 2015] <Wohali>: arun_agarwal: go ahead
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:27:29 2015] <arun_agarwal>: Wohali: which team decides
> the
> >> genuinty of the logo that people are proposing.. the selected logo
> design
> >> could be "inspired" from some
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:27:35 2015] <arun_agarwal>: other logo and that could be
> >> problem later on.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:27:48 2015] <arun_agarwal>: do we have a team which
> brings
> >> this as intellectual property?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:28:15 2015] <Wohali>: Apache does have legal council who
> >> can help review these things, yes, as we intend to file the new logo
> under
> >> trademark / service mark law
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:28:18 2015] <jan____>: #action robertkowalski writes a
> text
> >> about the process
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:28:31 2015] <jan____>: arun_agarwal: there is a
> trademarks
> >> group at Apache, we’d run the final logo by them
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:29:20 2015] <arun_agarwal>: Wohali, jan____:  hmm I see..
> >> that would be great, because while it unites us, we probably won't have
> lot
> >> of time redoing this :D
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:29:46 2015] <jan____>: arun_agarwal: good call! :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:30:17 2015] <Wohali>: yes i think that happens after the
> >> committer vote
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:30:21 2015] <jan____>: fwiw, the current logo is
> >> dangerously close to the German soccer league:
> >> https://encrypted.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=bundeliga&tbs=imgo:1
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:30:25 2015] <Wohali>: because if #1 is a problem, #2 in
> the
> >> ranking might not be
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:30:34 2015] <Wohali>: jan, haha
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:30:41 2015] <Wohali>: i don't fancy fighting FIFA!
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:30:52 2015] <jan____>: lol yeah, no
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:32:03 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: where do you see couch on
> >> bundesliga logo? they aren't close.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:32:12 2015] <Wohali>: Kxepal: it's a joke, i think
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:32:18 2015] <jan____>: huh?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:32:32 2015] <Wohali>: i don't think they'd seriously come
> >> after us, but i do see the similarity
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:32:40 2015] <Kxepal>: sorry, seems like my humor process
> >> died
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:32:42 2015] <Wohali>: but, it might be hard to file for
> the
> >> trademark
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:32:49 2015] <jan____>: white shape with pronounced legs
> on
> >> red background
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:32:54 2015] <jan____>: totally close.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:32:59 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: too abstract description
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:33:14 2015] <jan____>: it is worse when you see it in
> >> real-life here, I have one on my commute and it gets me every time
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:33:29 2015] <jan____>: they aren’t pixel-perfect copies,
> >> but if you see one casually trust me, you will think CouchDB :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:33:35 2015] <jan____>: all this is off topic for now
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:33:53 2015] <Kxepal>: yea, and that's a question for
> >> lawyers (:
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:33:58 2015] <jan____>: let’s wrap this :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:34:08 2015] <rkowalski__>: \o/
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:34:44 2015] <arun_agarwal>: if all done, I have one quick
> >> point.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:34:52 2015] <jan____>: shoot
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:34:59 2015] <arun_agarwal>: can someone fill the red TBD
> @
> >> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/Installing+CouchDB
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:35:28 2015] <arun_agarwal>: few new tech have introduced
> >> starting 2.0.  should we add that or get rid of this table?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:35:56 2015] <jan____>: arun_agarwal: ICU/Curl: same as
> 1.x
> >> / autoconf/make no longer required
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:36:16 2015] <Wohali>: i don't think curl is still
> required
> >> in 2.0
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:36:27 2015] <jan____>: incorrect
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:36:29 2015] <Kxepal>: Wohali: it need for tests iirc
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:36:30 2015] <Wohali>: at least, i think i removed the
> req't
> >> for that in dbcore prior to the merge?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:36:31 2015] <jan____>: :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:36:38 2015] <Wohali>: oh. boo. guess that didn't get
> merged.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:36:54 2015] <jan____>: still needed for CLI JS tests
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:36:59 2015] <jan____>: it is optional
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:37:00 2015] <robertkowalski>: we have this wiki page,
> >> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/INSTALL.Unix and the
> >> official docs
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:37:01 2015] <Wohali>: k
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:37:04 2015] <jan____>: and off by default
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:37:08 2015] <robertkowalski>: oh and
> >> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/README-DEV
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:37:10 2015] <Wohali>: yeah no auto*, but we need rebar
> now
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:37:21 2015] <Wohali>: and there are the extra req'ts for
> >> building fauxton
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:37:29 2015] <arun_agarwal>: rebar and nodejs?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:37:32 2015] <jan____>: yeah, as mentioned on the ML, I’m
> >> worried about duplication of content here
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:37:35 2015] <Wohali>: and npm
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:37:35 2015] <robertkowalski>: and they are all in
> different
> >> way outdated and up to date
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:37:46 2015] <robertkowalski>: can we remove some?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:37:51 2015] <jan____>: and grunt etc.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:37:59 2015] <jan____>: see the fauxton readme for fauxton
> >> deps
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:38:14 2015] <arun_agarwal>: yes, we have so many links
> and
> >> many-many are dead
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:38:18 2015] <robertkowalski>: fauxton does not need a
> >> globally installed grunt soon any more
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:38:25 2015] <jan____>:
> >> http://couchdb.apache.org/developer-preview/2.0/ shows what is needed
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:38:35 2015] <arun_agarwal>: for one topic we should
> ideally
> >> have one doc and all other should be soft link to the detailed one
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:38:37 2015] <jan____>: we should only keep INSTALL.md and
> >> DEVELOPER.md — everything else should link to them
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:38:38 2015] <arun_agarwal>: :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:38:47 2015] <sebastianrothbuc>: +1 on that
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:38:58 2015] <arun_agarwal>: jan____: +1
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:39:00 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: nice use of future
> >> past tense there :D
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:39:35 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: and one for docs, or
> >> transform *.md into .rst to make them inclusive for docs
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:39:57 2015] <Wohali>: agree
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:40:17 2015] <jan____>: Kxepal: then we have tow places
> again
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:40:31 2015] <arun_agarwal>: Kxepal: but that won't
> generate
> >> twiki?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:40:37 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: after transform we don't
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:40:46 2015] <arun_agarwal>: oh sorry.. got it
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:40:53 2015] <jan____>: then we should put it all in the
> >> .rst docs and have INSTALL.rst and DEVELOPER.rst generated from there at
> >> build time
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:40:54 2015] <arun_agarwal>: twiki will just link to these
> >> markdowns
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:41:07 2015] <jan____>: arun_agarwal: let’s not also add
> >> this to the wiki, we are trying to consolidate, not spread :
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:41:26 2015] <jan____>: :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:41:31 2015] <jan____>: right :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:41:31 2015] <arun_agarwal>: jan____: yup.. understood and
> >> agree .. my bad...:)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:41:49 2015] <jan____>: no worries
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:41:52 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: mmm..you suggest to build
> >> the couchdb, make the docs first? (:
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:42:30 2015] <jan____>: the requirements are: we need two
> >> top level source tree files that we can have in tarballs (ideally also
> git)
> >> and two places in the docs where the user and dev setup are explained.
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:42:48 2015] <sebastianrothbuc>: can one not link to these
> >> docs on github and that's it?
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:43:00 2015] <jan____>: maybe we can make it that the top
> >> level INSTALL.rst and DEVELOPER.rst are included in the docs build
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:43:04 2015] <Kxepal>: sebastianrothbuc: no internet case
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:43:06 2015] <jan____>: that would be easiest
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:43:16 2015] <robertkowalski>: sebastianrothbuc: yes i
> would
> >> prefer that
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:43:16 2015] <Kxepal>: jan____: yeap, clear
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:43:28 2015] <jan____>: offlineofflineoffline :)
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:43:50 2015] <jan____>: robertkowalski: no go, can’t be
> >> online
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:43:57 2015] <jan____>: Kxepal: cool, let’s work on that
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:44:09 2015] <jan____>: #action Kxepal and jan____ to
> figure
> >> out consolidation of install instructions
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:44:30 2015] <Kxepal>: deal (:
> >> [Wed Mar 18 21:45:47 2015] <jan____>: ASFBot: meeting end
> >>
> >>
> >> Meeting ended at Wed Mar 18 21:45:47 2015
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Madhuka Udantha
> > http://madhukaudantha.blogspot.com
>



-- 
Cheers,
Madhuka Udantha
http://madhukaudantha.blogspot.com

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message