couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Kowalski <...@kowalski.gd>
Subject Re: Building a 2.0 tarball
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2015 22:49:03 GMT
After running `make dist` you will get a couchdb folder in `/rel/`. It
contains an Erlang release, if I ran `make dist` on the project root I
can boot couch with:

`./rel/couchdb/bin/couchdb`

I hope that helps,
Robert

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 9:10 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I’m looking at how we want to produce a tarball for the upcoming 2.0 release.
>
> Since we ditched most of our Autotools infrastructure, we are at step #1 for building
a release tarball.

> I have a bit of a Makefile target that copies everything from a git checkout into a sub-directory:
>
> # creates a source tarball
> release:
>        # make release dir
>        rm -rf release
>        mkdir release
>
>        # copy sources over
>        cp -r src release/
>
>        # copy utility files over
>        cp -r rel/overlay/etc rel/overlay/bin support release/
>        cp rebar.config.script config.erl install.mk release/
>

> To test if it works, I want to start CouchDB, but I can’t for the life of me find the
right incarnation to get this started. Both looking at dev/run and bin/couchdb for clues didn’t
quite help (and note, I wrote the original `bin/couchdb`).

> Does anyone have any pointers? Am I missing any resources in that `release` directory
to make it work?

> The idea is to have a tarball that is similar for what we have in 1.x, something that
has its own Makefile to build and install a CouchDB installation from source. This is without
thinking about convenience binary builds that we could also offer (like the Mac OS X one today).