couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <m...@jan.io>
Subject Re: Building a 2.0 tarball
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2015 23:09:48 GMT
I got this going with help from Alexander on IRC.

Here is a Pull Request we can discuss: https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/302

Thanks!
Jan
--

> On 11 Feb 2015, at 09:02, Jan Lehnardt <mail@jan.io> wrote:
>
> Thanks Robert,
>
> I know about `make dist`. It creates a binary distribution, not a source one, hence my
efforts :)

> It's bin/couchdb script is what I'm trying to learn from how to start CouchDB in its
2.x form, but so far no luck.

> Cheers
> Jan
> --
>
>> On 10.02.2015, at 23:49, Robert Kowalski <rok@kowalski.gd> wrote:
>>
>> After running `make dist` you will get a couchdb folder in `/rel/`. It
>> contains an Erlang release, if I ran `make dist` on the project root I
>> can boot couch with:
>>
>> `./rel/couchdb/bin/couchdb`
>>
>> I hope that helps,
>> Robert
>>
>>> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 9:10 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I’m looking at how we want to produce a tarball for the upcoming 2.0 release.
>>>
>>> Since we ditched most of our Autotools infrastructure, we are at step #1 for
building a release tarball.

>>> I have a bit of a Makefile target that copies everything from a git checkout
into a sub-directory:

>>> # creates a source tarball
>>> release:
>>>      # make release dir
>>>      rm -rf release
>>>      mkdir release
>>>
>>>      # copy sources over
>>>      cp -r src release/
>>>
>>>      # copy utility files over
>>>      cp -r rel/overlay/etc rel/overlay/bin support release/
>>>      cp rebar.config.script config.erl install.mk release/
>>>

>>> To test if it works, I want to start CouchDB, but I can’t for the life of me
find the right incarnation to get this started. Both looking at dev/run and bin/couchdb for
clues didn’t quite help (and note, I wrote the original `bin/couchdb`).

>>> Does anyone have any pointers? Am I missing any resources in that `release` directory
to make it work?

>>> The idea is to have a tarball that is similar for what we have in 1.x, something
that has its own Makefile to build and install a CouchDB installation from source. This is
without thinking about convenience binary builds that we could also offer (like the Mac OS
X one today).