couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Kowalski <...@kowalski.gd>
Subject [DISCUSS] Fauxton: remove advice in docs to create a Jira ticket for every PR
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2014 18:52:31 GMT
I just stumbled over a sentence in Fauxton's contributing.md (
https://github.com/apache/couchdb-fauxton/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md)
which made me curious:

(instructions to create a branch with the ticket-id in front of it):

followed by a: "If there is no Jira ticket for the issue you have, please
create one."

I would like to remove that sentence for several reasons:

- Summed up over a year it takes a lot of time to find each extra for a PR
created Jira ticket and close it, often people forget to close the ticket
after the PR is merged (or do not have the karma for it?).

- Another reason for removing this rule is that we do not act to this rule
in the project - the theory differs a lot from the practical day-to-day
business we are living.

- It also raises the entry barrier for folks which just want to fix a small
bug they found, but have to register an account on Jira first, then verify
their email, find out how to create a bug on Jira and then write it and
just after that are able to submit a patch for a bug which is probably my
main reason I would like to remove this advice.

I opened a PR on https://github.com/apache/couchdb-fauxton/pull/125 which
will be open until next week wednesday. There is no need to reply if you
are happy with this change.

Best,

Robert