couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <andyw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suggestion: a few more details in new committer emails
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2014 09:13:58 GMT
Hey Dirkjan,

thanks a lot for your input. I personally think it's a great idea to add
some info to the email for announcing a new committer. One other idea, and
I would prefer this, is to ask the new committers to introduce them selfs
after they have been announced. The ASF is doing this similarly with new
members and it's a great way to get to know what people are doing. We would
ask the committers in the done_committer email:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb-admin.git;a=blob_plain;f=email/done_committer.txt;hb=HEAD
. Here is a very quick draft:

"The community would like to know a bit about you. Please write a short
email to [which lists?] and introduce yourself. Here is a list with some
points you could cover:

* in which areas do you contribute to CouchDB
* what are your interests in IT
* anything else you would like the community know about you
"

The fact, that the announcement email is solely sent to dev@ is also not
really clear to me (and I stumbled over it while sending the announcement
of Javier ;-) ). I think this is done because dev@ is still the biggest
list and also the main list (historically in all ASF projects). I suggest
to change this because we do have committers not only (and also not at all)
committing code. So - maybe I will be mobbed for this :) - why not sending
to all lists?

We do also announce new committers via the social media channels and also
in the weekly news. But still - we should change the announcement
recipients.

All the best

Andy

--