couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Improved CouchDB logo
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2014 03:26:04 GMT

> On Oct 27, 2014, at 6:32 PM, Joan Touzet <wohali@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Interesting, but those CouchBase jerks already did it:

Watch whom you're calling a jerk, please.

> We might own the concept of Couch and the original red couch logo,

Uh, you can't own a "concept". You can own a patent, copyright or trademark. The Apache Foundation
probably owns trademarks on the name CouchDB™ and the couch-with-person-on-it logo, but
I'm pretty sure it explicitly disclaims patent rights. (Companies are pretty skittish of patent-encumbered
open-source technologies these days.)

> but I am sure they'll get angry and make our lives difficult if we make ours
> look similar to theirs.

Really, I don't think Couchbase is overly concerned about what logo designs Apache projects
are using. :) Unless maybe you picked _exactly the same_ logo as our current or past (2011-13)
one, which would be both lame and unimaginative. There are a million possible logo designs
based on couches, with a lot of room for creativity!

(As for the controversy, I like the current CouchDB logo and it seems a stretch to consider
it offensive. I'm sure one can fill in that white silhouette with lewd details, but that says
more about the person looking at it than the design itself. "Honi soit qui mal y pense".)

—Jens (who is not a lawyer and does not speak for Couchbase)