couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Improved CouchDB logo
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:52:17 GMT
Hi folks!

(Dropping user@, as this isn't really a topic for that list.)

CouchDB 2.0 is an *obvious* target for a brand refresh. Lets seize it
if we want to make changes.

I think the complaints are valid, though I baulked at first also. But
that's because I'm attached to our brand.

It's also important to note that his pose and his haircut gender him.
(It's clearly a him. For people who might not've been around when we
adopted this logo, he even has a name. He's called "the dude".) Not to
mention that he is white.

So yeah. We have a logo with a white dude sitting in a sexually
suggestive pose. Obviously, nothing was ever meant by it. But this
certainly isn't an image that reflects the sort of culture that we
want to build going forward.

I propose we simply remove the person. The image that Paul linked is
good. I'd be happy with the logo as-is, without the dude. It's a
fairly minor graphical tweak, and if we time it right, represents an
evolution of our brand as well as our product.

I'm tempted to suggest a colour change. But that's only to
differentiate our logo from Couchbase. It's rather unfortunate that
they chose a logo so similar to ours (recently bringing it even closer
in terms of colour). Slightly ironic, given Jen's comment. ;)

Blue is nice. :) But then that tempts me to change the name too. I
mean, if we're ever going to do this, now is the time. It's important
to note though that we have a very STRONG brand, and changing it in a
big will be expensive.

Just removing the person from the logo sees like a simple, inexpensive
change though.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater