couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Improved CouchDB logo
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2014 05:37:18 GMT
Not for not, but BigCouch's "logo" has been sans human figure for
nearly four years. This is from Adam Kocloski's slide deck at Erlang
Factory SF, March 2011:

http://f.cl.ly/items/3U0A1s0r361Z1Y3v1p1b/big-couch-logo.png

That's just the earliest I can find it in a slide deck. I did find a
few where the figure is a tiny person which I think was meant to show
that the couch was bigger. I always thought that one was a bit silly
myself.

While I'm not super excited to see our logo change, I can see how it
could be misinterpreted which is probably reason enough to think about
changing it.

HTH,
Paul

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 10:26 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:

>> On Oct 27, 2014, at 6:32 PM, Joan Touzet <wohali@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Interesting, but those CouchBase jerks already did it:
>
> Watch whom you're calling a jerk, please.
>
>> We might own the concept of Couch and the original red couch logo,
>
> Uh, you can't own a "concept". You can own a patent, copyright or trademark. The Apache
Foundation probably owns trademarks on the name CouchDB™ and the couch-with-person-on-it
logo, but I'm pretty sure it explicitly disclaims patent rights. (Companies are pretty skittish
of patent-encumbered open-source technologies these days.)

>> but I am sure they'll get angry and make our lives difficult if we make ours
>> look similar to theirs.
>
> Really, I don't think Couchbase is overly concerned about what logo designs Apache projects
are using. :) Unless maybe you picked _exactly the same_ logo as our current or past (2011-13)
one, which would be both lame and unimaginative. There are a million possible logo designs
based on couches, with a lot of room for creativity!

> (As for the controversy, I like the current CouchDB logo and it seems a stretch to consider
it offensive. I'm sure one can fill in that white silhouette with lewd details, but that says
more about the person looking at it than the design itself. "Honi soit qui mal y pense".)