couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jamie Bliss <astronouth7...@gmail.com>
Subject Future of Externals
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2014 21:49:12 GMT
After having a discussion in IRC about externals, it was suggested I post
to the dev list. It was brought up that the externals APIs (os_daemons
and httpd_global_handlers, as described in <
http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/externals.html>) might be removed in a
future release (2.0?).

Here is my use case: As part of a product line, my company will be selling
preconfigured "appliance servers" that have the daemons ready to go with a
few basic configuration options. I expect each appliance to have a pretty
low load, compared to what CouchDB can handle.

My current plan is to use CouchDB as the primary httpd. There are several
apps/features that hang off of this, currently about 6 planned. Each
feature is some combination of daemons, externals, static files, and
CouchApps. Each one uses CouchDB to store data and configuration, and use
_changes feeds for updates.

In this use case, some of CouchDB's tenants ("Relax" and "if it doesn't
scale, don't do it") are conflicting when clustering is brought into play.
On the one hand, using the externals APIs as they stand makes adding my
non-HTTP handler and non-map/reduce indexer easy to add to CouchDB without
dealing with additional software (coming from a guy who is a developer
first and a sysadmin never). On the other hand, the way these currently
work (in particular, os_daemons) do not translate cleanly to a clustering
environment.

(And yes, I know I can solve this with another httpd, a deployment tool,
and a process supervisor. See "Relax" and "not a sysadmin".)