couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving swiftly towards 2.0
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2014 19:31:57 GMT

On 08 Oct 2014, at 22:06 , Joan Touzet <joant@lrtw.org> wrote:

> Hey everyone.
>
> master has been stable for a number of weeks now. We should start moving
> towards releasing CouchDB 2.0.
>
> What does that mean? I think the items remaining, before we can consider
> a release candidate are limited to:
>
> * Simplify cluster setup. (Owner: Jan L.)
> * Remove futon, add fauxton as default dashboard (Owner: Jan L.)

The main repo now has a goodbye-futon branch that:
- safe-keeps the JS tests in share/test (see below)
- rm -rf’s share/www
- updates Makefile to build Fauxton on demand (see https://github.com/apache/couchdb/commit/4fa015a86109cf3b892ec581d0f2e66b22651cd0)

The couchdb-fauxton repo now has a goodbye-futon branch that:
- builds Fauxton into share/www/ instead of share/www/fauxton/

Together they make this work :)

This means that if you want to `make` CouchDB, you need to have Node.js, npm and
grunt-cli installed as outlined in https://github.com/apache/couchdb-fauxton/blob/master/readme.md
We should probably add a configure switch for this one, like
--disable-docs for people who are in a hurry :)

A note on the JS tests:

I moved the test and utility files into share/test. Eventually, this should live
in its own repo (like the PouchDB folks have done at https://github.com/nick-thompson/couchdb-harness).
This would have the added benefit that other projects can re-use that test suite.

Running `make javascript` on master results in a lot of:

HTTP API was disabled at compile time.
HTTP API was disabled at compile time.
etc.

The same is now true in the goodbye-futon branch, so I don’t yet know if
my file-move/path adjustment shenanigans actually work.

I’d appreciate a cursory look from the Fauxton folks and someone who can
teach me some make, so I don’t have to do things like https://github.com/apache/couchdb/commit/4fa015a86109cf3b892ec581d0f2e66b22651cd0#diff-b67911656ef5d18c4ae36cb6741b7965R75

Best
Jan