couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Chair rotation?
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2014 21:58:02 GMT
Hello folks,

It's time we have a discussion about the position of Chair. Jan has
held office for a while now, and has done a great job of it. But our
new bylaws specify that we will hold yearly reelections.

We have a number of options here:

1. We say that Jan's position started on the day the bylaws were
ratified, and in 12 months we hold an election.

2. We say that Jan's position is up (having already held it for more
than 12 months) and we either nominated a new Chair or we hold a vote.

Let's try to get general consensus about which option we want to take.
If there's clear agreement, we'll move forward with that option.

Remember: our rationale for re-electing the Chair is that we think
that doing so is beneficial for the project. Giving new people a
chance to serve a term may stimulate activity and change, and so on.
It also helps familiarise as many people as possible with all parts of
the project.

Jan has done a sterling job, and nobody can deny it. This discussion
isn't about whether we need to replace him. It's only about when we
set the end date of his current term. Immediately or 12 months in the
future. :)

Also, please, whatever you do, please do not reply to this email with
a nomination. Such as: "I think Monty would make a good Chair." Chair
nomination itself will happen in private on the PMC list.

Thanks,

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater