couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject merge, where is the doc?
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2014 06:00:54 GMT
Sometimes in the past we blamed some people because they were committing
big chunks of code not atomically and not really documented. And I am
afraid this is happening right now again.

This is not the first time I asked for it but could the merge be more
documented? Commits message are not enough and having to pass 1 day or more
to follow all the changes, why they are done, what are their intents, is
not pleasant/fun at all. More important I find myself in waiting everything
is finished to know what can I do with it. And I don't know where we are
going exactly (just a vague idea of what we will have). Some discussion
with others outside about it shows I am not alone.

Don't get me wrong, I like to see the source code moving. But I think it's
more important to integrate others developers (and not only committers) in
the loop when a change happen. And we shouldn't wait that a branch is
finished before knowing where we are going. We shouldn't have to dive in
the source code of the current master to understand how each modules
interacts, understanding the way decisions are done on the cluster, .....
Such things should already be documented before to go further. So other
devs can again help if they want to, without losing their times too much in
the basement. The knowledge should be shared with the community.

I am sure all these chunks of code have been discussed before between
people inside Cloudant, that some design documents have been exchanged, and
some tickets describe more exactly the solved problem. If people don't have
the time to document the wip, maybe at least such material can be shared?

I hope this situation may be sorted soon.

- benoit