couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Samuel Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB LTS branch
Date Sun, 13 Jul 2014 20:53:56 GMT

I’m more than a little skeptical that anyone would notice but I’d like to hear from others.
Perhaps if we couple that with a loud announcement at release time, with instructions on what
to look for, it would work out.

B.

On 13 Jul 2014, at 14:03, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:

> IIRC there was suggestion about using custom header like
> client library, but will give them a change to handle it and show the
> warning. + Deprecation tags in our docs. For 2.0 release we could
> respond on deprecated endpoints with 410 Gone instead of 404.
>
> If client library is still active, users will expect that it'll get
> updated to show these warnings and it have some plans for 2.0 support.
> Otherwise we cannot do anything for the libraries which are stale and
> users have to looks for more active and up-to-dated alternatives for
> migration.
> --
>

> On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Robert Samuel Newson
> <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> This assumes there is a meaningful way to deprecate API endpoints within couchdb,
and I can’t think of one right now. If the response from couchdb is changed to indicate
deprecation, how will we a) ensure no user or client library is broken and b) expect any user
or client library to notice the warning?