couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [REVISED] Official CouchDB bylaws
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2014 01:37:55 GMT
Agreed. Unless any major flaws are found, we should move any minor
niggles to a separate document, and update in batch at some point in
the future.

Acknowledge your point about just lifting the content. Those documents
are just guidelines, and are often poorly worded, or out of date. One
of the things I was hoping to do with the bylaws was taken content
from many sources, and improve on it. (Which we have succeeded at
doing, and I am very proud of the work we've all done here!)

As I say, I'm happy to +1 as it stands and deal with any minor edit
suggestions at a later date (including my own).

On 22 July 2014 03:31, Joan Touzet <wohali@apache.org> wrote:
> I officially vote +1 on this document.
>
> A reminder, from my initial email on this round of updates:
>
>> At this point, the bylaws are mostly stable, but there may remain some
>> tweaks to the text necessary to ensure they match how we have been
>> running the project for some time now. We (the PMC) acknowledge that
>> they are not perfect, but we do not want to let the perfect to be the
>> enemy of the good (thanks to Voltaire), so we're moving ahead with them
>> in the state they're in.
>
> This stands - minor changes should be queued up for later, we can put
> together a diff and adopt that as a simple majority vote once these rules
> are in effect.
>
> For reference, the edits referred to were pasted in came directly from ASF documents
- I made no personal changes and I think we make our own changes at our own peril, especially
of bikeshedding this to death.  https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html

> -Joan

the PMC is to ensure that everyone has a chance to be heard and to enable meetings to flow
smoothly. There is no concept of "leader" in the Apache way.

>> Remember that, as in any meeting, the Chair is a facilitator and their role within
the PMC is to ensure that everyone has a chance to be heard and to enable things to flow smoothly.
It is primarily an administrative role.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater