couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [NOTICE] Updated Bylaws - final readthrough before vote
Date Sat, 19 Jul 2014 22:28:43 GMT
We could institute a "SOS" type thing where people can request a
timeout on a change to properly review or discuss it. And we can put a
time limit on it. So you'd say "I'd like to request we back out X
changeset and discuss it." And then you have like Y days to get
consensus on what to do about it. But it's still a consensus based
thing.

That gives you your emergency brake power, but without allowing PMC
consensus to be unilaterally overridden by an individual.

On 20 July 2014 00:17, Robert Samuel Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
> On vetos, I’d approve of restricting them to release branches (of any repository) but
I’m wary of wording it that finely (that is, leaving us unable to veto something objectionable
that falls outside of that description when regular ASF rules would otherwise have permitted
one).

> To the notion that we have no vetos at all. I do understand the appeal and I will give
it some more thought but I’m currently unconvinced. I’m unsure on which side the burden
of proof lies here, but I tend to agree with Noah that it’s on the side of those that wish
to preserve the power of veto (like myself).

> I hope we’d all agree that there are hypothetical cases where a code change can be
damaging without being obviously broken. It might be that just one person is able to see that
damage and the appropriate response is a veto (a -1 vote on the code change while it’s in
review). It would obviously come with a description of the problem, but it might take some
time to explain and unpack that explanation. The veto prevents it hitting master (where it
is theoretically releasable).

> I don’t think that’s too contrived (I can think of a few code changes that needed
this response) and I don’t think it will happen often, but I think it *will* happen. Without
vetos, perhaps things are no worse in practice? The main difference would be that the brokenness
would appear in otherwise releasable branches (and be reverted and then redone differently).
We do strive to make master always releasable but we only ever assert that property for release
artifacts themselves in practice to date.

> I’d like to hear other people’s positions on the 'no vetos' position. I think the
topic might even be moot if we formally adopt the RTC policy I sketched earlier. Requiring
assent for merges to master covers my basic fear of unreviewed nonsense entering the product
unseen.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater