couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB 2.0: breaking the backward compatibility
Date Sun, 13 Jul 2014 20:23:19 GMT
Changing the default respones for conflicts to include all versions
(or no version).

Fix the list API (inside couchjs) so that its a pure callback like
everything else. Not sure if we should necessarily completely revamp
the whole query server protocol for 2.0. Given that its not user
facing I'm less inclined to think it needs to be in a major release,
ie we could add a new protocol in a minor release after 2.0.

We should rename _rev to _mvcc (or _token or _lock or anything not
_rev) finally.

Removing all metadata from document bodies has been an oft requested change.

Seems like there was a list of these things floating around a long time ago.

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Robert Samuel Newson
<rnewson@apache.org> wrote:

> Since we follow semantic versioning, the only meaning behind naming our next release
2.0 and not 1.7 is that it contains backwards incompatible changes.

> It’s for the CouchDB community as a whole to determine what is and isn’t in a release.
Certainly merging in bigcouch and rcouch are a huge part of the 2.0 release, but they aren’t
necessarily the only things. If they hadn’t changed the API in incompatible ways, they wouldn’t
cause a major version bump.

> With that said then, I’m interested in hearing what else, besides the two merges, we
feel we want to take on in our first major revision bump in approximately forever? At minimum,
I would like to see a change that allows us to use versions of spidermonkey released after
1.8.5, whatever that change might be.

> B.
>
> On 13 Jul 2014, at 20:31, Joan Touzet <wohali@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Improving the view server protocol is a great idea, but it is appropriate
>> for a 2.0 timeframe? I would think it would make more sense in a 3.0
>> timeframe, given 2.0 is all about merging forks, not writing new features
>> entirely from scratch.
>>
>> -Joan

so I will be pulling that work over soon).