couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Code of conduct - edit of the point 2
Date Sun, 27 Jul 2014 08:03:40 GMT
On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> Empathy is the capacity to  recognise emotions of others.

This is not a capacity. Just a feeling that you are able to. A behaviorist
assumption by the way.

> The first order of empathy is recognising that you can never know
> another's emotional state, but to be open for signs that tell you.

So if no sign give you any sign about its emotions, how are doing it? Like
 simply just giving up, then later (sometimes month) coming formally or
informally telling you were not empathetic. Which also show a sign of a
lack of empathy and trust with the other.  Who is lacking the more of
empathy in that case?

> I'd like for this community to be the baseline of interaction: looking out
> for each other in order to avoid misunderstanding and help to resolve
> conflict amicably.

> One can very well be emphatic towards total strangers. For example, notice
> how we treat people differently, when they post here for the first time. We
> take into account, that they haven't been accustomed to how things work
> around here. That's empathy in action, unambiguously.
>
> The fact that empathy is harder to practice in a written, electronic
> medium makes me want to put empathy front and centre into culture even more.
>
> I like your point about trust and best intentions and that's worth
> capturing, if we don't have it yet, but that's a separate point and can't
> replace empathy.

I don't see why you have to use the term "empathy" and why it has to be
there. Why do you want to use a psychological term only use by a group of
the population in a code of **conduct**?  Last proposal I did define what
you seems to expect from the others without either using the term of trust
or empathy. I don't see any reason about using a vague term known to be
conflicting in its resolution. A code of conduct should only be a framework
for the community, not a way to transform it in a club.

- benoit.