couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Samuel Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [REVISED] Official CouchDB bylaws
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:43:58 GMT

I vote +1 to the revised (rev 89) bylaws, thanks for the swift update!

I don’t know if it matters but the opening thread states ' Tuesday, July 21, 2014', but
it is of course the 22nd.

B.

On 22 Jul 2014, at 02:37, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> Agreed. Unless any major flaws are found, we should move any minor
> niggles to a separate document, and update in batch at some point in
> the future.
>
> Acknowledge your point about just lifting the content. Those documents
> are just guidelines, and are often poorly worded, or out of date. One
> of the things I was hoping to do with the bylaws was taken content
> from many sources, and improve on it. (Which we have succeeded at
> doing, and I am very proud of the work we've all done here!)
>
> As I say, I'm happy to +1 as it stands and deal with any minor edit
> suggestions at a later date (including my own).
>
> On 22 July 2014 03:31, Joan Touzet <wohali@apache.org> wrote:
>> I officially vote +1 on this document.
>>
>> A reminder, from my initial email on this round of updates:
>>
>>> At this point, the bylaws are mostly stable, but there may remain some
>>> tweaks to the text necessary to ensure they match how we have been
>>> running the project for some time now. We (the PMC) acknowledge that
>>> they are not perfect, but we do not want to let the perfect to be the
>>> enemy of the good (thanks to Voltaire), so we're moving ahead with them
>>> in the state they're in.
>>
>> This stands - minor changes should be queued up for later, we can put
>> together a diff and adopt that as a simple majority vote once these rules
>> are in effect.
>>
>> For reference, the edits referred to were pasted in came directly from ASF documents
- I made no personal changes and I think we make our own changes at our own peril, especially
of bikeshedding this to death.  https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html

>> -Joan

the PMC is to ensure that everyone has a chance to be heard and to enable meetings to flow
smoothly. There is no concept of "leader" in the Apache way.

>>> Remember that, as in any meeting, the Chair is a facilitator and their role within
the PMC is to ensure that everyone has a chance to be heard and to enable things to flow smoothly.
It is primarily an administrative role.

>> We mention the "no leader" thing in the opening para. :)
>>
>> Neither of these things are blocking. I will vote +1 on the bylaws as
>> they stand now, and move these suggestions to a buffer, for the next
>> round of edits we inevitably make (at some point in the future).
>>

>> On 22 July 2014 03:12, Joan Touzet <joant@lrtw.org> wrote:
>>> **REVISED BYLAWS DOCUMENT VERSION**
>>>
>>> Voting period starts         02:00:00 UTC on Tuesday, July 21, 2014
>>> Votes must be received by    23:59:59 UTC on Sunday, July 27, 2014
>>>

>>> INTRODUCTION
>>> This Call For Votes is for voting in an official set of Apache CouchDB
>>> bylaws. This vote is being conducted as required by the proposed bylaws
>>> themselves. For voting questions or problems, contact the PMC at