couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Amend CouchDB bylaws
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2014 06:14:03 GMT
Actually, given the vote is 72h from when it was first posted, this
email came in before the 72 hour deadline, so your vote is officially
changed to -0.5. Thank you :)

-Joan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benoit Chesneau" <bchesneau@gmail.com>
To: dev@couchdb.apache.org, "Joan Touzet" <wohali@apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 12:00:50 AM
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Amend CouchDB bylaws

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 9:32 PM, Joan Touzet <wohali@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Benoit,
>
> We already have a notion of Lazy 2/3 Majority in the bylaws as passed
> for many different vote types. As the -1 veto process is proposed to be
> dropped outside of justifiable technical blocks on commits, there would
> then be no more veto _override_ process possible for electing a chair or
> new PMC member, or modifying official documents.
>
> The intent is therefore to pull forward the scrutiny that the veto
> override vote would have brought into the initial vote for these specific
> vote types. That means using a lazy 2/3 majority vote rather than
> permitting the continued use of blocking vetos - which is problematic
> and not desired. As an example, your -1 vote on this change is a blocker
> given the current bylaws, and that is not what the PMC intended when
> drafting the bylaws.

I don;t see any discussion *on the PMC mailing-list* about it.

Anyway thanks for the explanation, I understand now and while I disagree
with the 2/3 lazy majority (i couldn't vote in the short limited time
given) I agree that it should not reintroduce the veto removed in lazy
majority. I'm -0.5 then.

- benoit