couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cloudant Query
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2014 20:25:44 GMT
On Jun 27, 2014, at 2:12 PM, Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com> wrote:

> [...]
etc. Perhaps it's too soon to say?

> It also introduces two new endpoints `_index` and `_find` just below the database name
which is also troublesome for long term API health.

> I do like the idea, though! :)

Hi Ben, Alexander,

Thanks for the feedback! The _index endpoint is mostly syntactic sugar and validation on top
of _design documents. You could create these ddocs yourself by setting "language":"query"
and configuring the other fields appropriately and the _find implementation would know to
use them. As design documents they certainly do replicate. I can see where an expert CouchDB
user might balk at having another API endpoint for ddoc manipulation, but we wanted to make
sure that Query was approachable for folks who don't have a ton of background with CouchDB.

The _find endpoint does more heavy lifting. Roughly speaking it

a) determines the most appropriate index to use for the query,
b) applies any additional selector criteria on the index entries to produce the final doc
set, and
c) filters the docs to only return the requested fields.

The current version of Query does _not_ incorporate data from FTS or Geo indexes, although
I'm sure you can imagine that we're interested in doing that :)

As far as the "hand-made custom query protocol" is concerned, there's a reason we announced
it at MongoDB World. The structure of the "selector" field in the body that you POST to /db/_find
is modeled directly on the BSON that you would supply to MongoDB in db.coll.find().

Cheers, Adam