couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [REQUES] Review proposed bylaws (Was: Re: [DISCUSS] Project bylaws)
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2014 09:47:11 GMT
On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Joan Touzet <wohali@apache.org> wrote:
> Proof by counterexample: I have been involved in a private gaming
> community for a long time where the only rule was "be polite" / "don't
> be an asshole". Recently it has been made painfully clear that, to some
> people, being polite means it's OK to be sexist, racist, disparage
> people who don't agree with you, villainize foreigners, and worse that
> I won't bring to bear on this list.

I'll quote myself:

    Being polite is a matter of etiquette; it's about respect, and being
    considerate of people's feelings, culture, and values. Polite and
    mannerly imply consideration for others and the adherence to
    conventional social standards of good behavior.

This definition is from English Oxford dictionary explicitly conflicts with
"being polite means it's OK to be sexist, racist, disparage  people
who don't agree with you, villainize foreigners, and worse that", so
that's NOT OK or someone didn't understand words he says. Otherwise I
could say the same about any statement of CoC: "sorry, I don't see any
harassments, sexual attacks or disrespect in my words - you imagined
all these problems by yourself because you psychologically prone to
see these problems". But we all know that's not right way to go.

Anyway, won't to insist on anything: just wanted to point on idea to
provide simple and short rules description for people who knows what
they doing and saying and who are on the same wave as we are. As for
others the detailed explanation below is always available below which
defines what we means under "being polite".

--