couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [REQUES] Review proposed bylaws (Was: Re: [DISCUSS] Project bylaws)
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2014 02:43:27 GMT
On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 6:23 AM, Joan Touzet <wohali@apache.org> wrote:
> I believe the response from him (or possibly someone else on the PMC)
> was that people would try and go by the abbreviated rules and never
> read the complete ones.

In this case what would make them read long rules? TL;DR isn't only life motto.

> And that people would either rely on that as
> a loophole, or worse, think our rules were more lax and cause issues.
> This could be unintentional or intentional; either way it allows
> for interpretation on the short rules that could cause issues.

Well, mostly all CoC points could be replaced by single sentence: "Be polite.":

polite (pəˈlaɪt) adj
1. showing regard for others, in manners, speech, behaviour, etc; courteous
Being polite is a matter of etiquette; it's about respect, and being
considerate of people's feelings, culture, and values. Polite and
mannerly imply consideration for others and the adherence to
conventional social standards of good behavior.

Simple and clear what the community expects from you.

P.S. the word "polite" mentioned zero times on code of conduct page.

--