couchdb-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From ASF IRC Bot <asf...@urd.zones.apache.org>
Subject Summary of IRC Meeting in #couchdb-meeting
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2014 19:46:39 GMT
Summary of IRC Meeting in #couchdb-meeting at Wed Jun  4 19:08:08 2014:

Attendees: Wohali, nslater, benoitc, Kxepal, chewbranca, rnewson

- Preface
- 1.6 release status
  - Link: http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg32998.html
- bigcouch merge
  - Action: everyone to help test :5984 api iface for 1843-feature-bigcouch branch. you can
use your favorite rest client for that!
  - Action: Wohali to connect benoitc and sagelywizard by email introduction
  - Link: https://gist.github.com/rnewson/58b567efd17ac69f6d5f
- Bylaws / CoC / Diversity statements
  - Action: all PMC to review and comment out bylaw and code of conduct papers!
  - Action: nslater to raise thread on ML about approval models and vetoes
  - Link: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=40511017
  - Link: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=41812010


IRC log follows:

## Preface ##
## 1.6 release status ##
[Wed Jun  4 19:08:49 2014] <Kxepal>: #link http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg32998.html
[Wed Jun  4 19:09:12 2014] <Kxepal>: 1.6 vote had passed. binaries for mac and windows
are ready for testing
[Wed Jun  4 19:10:52 2014] <Kxepal>: the final-final release will be very sooon. stay
tuned!
## bigcouch merge ##
[Wed Jun  4 19:12:18 2014] <Kxepal>: chewbranca: you probably know better than me what's
the news for merge status(: would you like to share them?
[Wed Jun  4 19:12:33 2014] <chewbranca>: yeah things are chugging along
[Wed Jun  4 19:13:14 2014] <chewbranca>: I've been porting over features that landed
in CouchDB, but not bigcouch, so there are no regressions, things like eventsource changes
feeds and some bug fixes and what not
[Wed Jun  4 19:13:35 2014] <Wohali>: I'll add some more context
[Wed Jun  4 19:14:01 2014] <Wohali>: for those who don't know, I'm back with Cloudant
as the development manager here for a few teams, including the database core group
[Wed Jun  4 19:14:18 2014] <Wohali>: our #1 priority is completing the merge, and Bob
Newson has been hauling ass (for lack of a more polite term) 
[Wed Jun  4 19:14:39 2014] <Wohali>: the 1843-feature-bigcouch branch now has all of
the latest changes on master applied
[Wed Jun  4 19:15:02 2014] <rnewson>: I finished the vast bulk of the core merge on
monday with the introduction of a new auth cache for the clustered web side (chttpd)
[Wed Jun  4 19:15:13 2014] <rnewson>: I would love to know what is broken or missing
on :5984 of that branch
[Wed Jun  4 19:15:15 2014] <Wohali>: the next priority for us is to stage changes from
our private "dbcore" repository for donation. this will have to go through a new IP clearance
process. rnewson is working with jan____ on making that happen expeditiously
[Wed Jun  4 19:15:32 2014] <rnewson>: that list is https://gist.github.com/rnewson/58b567efd17ac69f6d5f/edit
[Wed Jun  4 19:15:34 2014] <Wohali>: this is work that post-dates the "nebraska merge"
work from march 2013
[Wed Jun  4 19:15:50 2014] <Kxepal>: #link https://gist.github.com/rnewson/58b567efd17ac69f6d5f
[Wed Jun  4 19:16:35 2014] <rnewson>: for jiffy, it was just one commit so I just pushed
it
[Wed Jun  4 19:16:36 2014] <Wohali>: In parallel we have sagelywizard working on merging
rcouch view sequences so that we can bring over things like the view _changes feed 
[Wed Jun  4 19:16:50 2014] <rnewson>: I note that sagelywizard is working with benoitc
on that
[Wed Jun  4 19:16:53 2014] <Wohali>: correct
[Wed Jun  4 19:17:01 2014] <chewbranca>: dragons and serpents oh my
[Wed Jun  4 19:17:21 2014] <Wohali>: rnewson and chewbranca has been doing a great job
on testing porting, along with kxepal's recent work on converting etap tests to eunit (die,
etap, die!)
[Wed Jun  4 19:18:05 2014] <rnewson>: testing of the 1843 branch is critically important
right now. anything that a) fails or b) was in 1.5 but isn't there now is a huge red flag
for me
[Wed Jun  4 19:18:13 2014] <Kxepal>: #action everyone to help test :5984 api iface for
1843-feature-bigcouch branch. you can use your favorite rest client for that!
[Wed Jun  4 19:18:36 2014] <Wohali>: looking into the future, when the code is staged
and IP clearance is done, there will be some additional work to ensure no single-node regressions,
improved support for Erlang v17.0 to prevent scheduler collapse (primarily, jiffy NIF improvements),
and a few other things I'm forgetting right now
[Wed Jun  4 19:19:07 2014] <Wohali>: but for now the focus is on testing and bringing
over the dbcore changes from Cloudant. And +1 on kxepal's comment!
[Wed Jun  4 19:19:09 2014] <Wohali>: questions?
[Wed Jun  4 19:19:16 2014] <rnewson>: Wohali: we should also plan/pledge some bigcouch
training for non-cloudant couchdb'ers
[Wed Jun  4 19:20:06 2014] <Wohali>: absolutely. This is also an area IBM has said they
want to help with - documentation and translation - when we feel we're ready for them to dogpile
on it, let me know. I think it's still premature.
[Wed Jun  4 19:20:08 2014] <Kxepal>: rnewson: Wohali some sort of migration guidance
would be helpful
[Wed Jun  4 19:20:21 2014] <Wohali>: yup absolutely
[Wed Jun  4 19:20:30 2014] <Wohali>: again still premature but that path needs to be
a smooth as possible
[Wed Jun  4 19:20:54 2014] <rnewson>: migration is on the list for sure
[Wed Jun  4 19:21:08 2014] <rnewson>: at worst, it's a replication 
[Wed Jun  4 19:21:27 2014] <Wohali>: there will also be some utilities provided for
shard rebalancing, but it'll be a couple of months yet before that gets complete
[Wed Jun  4 19:22:20 2014] <Wohali>: that's all I have
[Wed Jun  4 19:23:40 2014] <benoitc>: quick drop to say i won't be so much active until
the 06/18
[Wed Jun  4 19:23:55 2014] <Kxepal>: that's awesome, Wohali! thank you(:
[Wed Jun  4 19:23:55 2014] <benoitc>: traveling/meeting a lot these days
[Wed Jun  4 19:24:04 2014] <Wohali>: benoitc: ok, thanks. If you have any time to help
sagelywizard that'd be fantastic
[Wed Jun  4 19:24:13 2014] <benoitc>: will try to sync sagelywizard by mail
[Wed Jun  4 19:24:18 2014] <Wohali>: :)
[Wed Jun  4 19:24:30 2014] <benoitc>: if you can pass to hi my mail
[Wed Jun  4 19:24:36 2014] <benoitc>: or just dev@ anyway
[Wed Jun  4 19:24:44 2014] <benoitc>: him
[Wed Jun  4 19:25:10 2014] <Wohali>: yup yup
[Wed Jun  4 19:25:23 2014] <Wohali>: #action Wohali to connect benoitc and sagelywizard
by email introduction
[Wed Jun  4 19:25:58 2014] <benoitc>: thanks
[Wed Jun  4 19:31:20 2014] <Kxepal>: thanks Wohali rnewson chewbranca for the great
input on bigcouch merge status report and plans for nearest future (: hope all bits will come
true in the best form!
## Bylaws / CoC / Diversity statements ##
[Wed Jun  4 19:31:44 2014] <Kxepal>: Wohali: you're on the floor (:
[Wed Jun  4 19:32:00 2014] <Wohali>: ok
[Wed Jun  4 19:32:08 2014] <Wohali>: Please remember to make comments on these things!
[Wed Jun  4 19:32:14 2014] <Wohali>: Bylaws, Code of Conduct, Diversity statements
[Wed Jun  4 19:33:23 2014] <Wohali>: here are some links
[Wed Jun  4 19:33:27 2014] <Wohali>: #link https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=40511017
[Wed Jun  4 19:33:32 2014] <Wohali>: #link https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=41812010
[Wed Jun  4 19:33:41 2014] <Wohali>: post comments to dev@couchdb.apache.org 
[Wed Jun  4 19:34:15 2014] <Kxepal>: Wohali: Bylaws, CoC...Diversity statements page
isn't created yet?
[Wed Jun  4 19:34:44 2014] <Wohali>: Diversity Statement is part of the 2nd link
[Wed Jun  4 19:34:46 2014] <Wohali>: they're both on the same page
[Wed Jun  4 19:34:50 2014] <Kxepal>: ah, it's inside Code of Conduct page
[Wed Jun  4 19:35:01 2014] <Kxepal>: yes, found it (:
[Wed Jun  4 19:36:12 2014] <Wohali>: nslater is not here but I know he had some final
Bylaws edits before we vote on it
[Wed Jun  4 19:36:29 2014] <Wohali>: but I'd really like to get this stuff reviewd and
in place, rather than let it languish for another 3 months. 
[Wed Jun  4 19:36:43 2014] <Wohali>: all of your PMC members who haven't reviewed and
provided comments yet, shame on you! :P
[Wed Jun  4 19:37:03 2014] <Kxepal>: I think I have one idea about both of them. will
share it after meeting
[Wed Jun  4 19:39:45 2014] <Kxepal>: #action all PMC to review and comment out bylaw
and code of conduct papers!
[Wed Jun  4 19:41:00 2014] <nslater>: Hello
[Wed Jun  4 19:41:12 2014] <nslater>: We need to discuss approval models and vetoes
[Wed Jun  4 19:41:22 2014] <nslater>: (On the go, can't chat)
[Wed Jun  4 19:41:28 2014] <Kxepal>: nslater: hey! welcome (:
[Wed Jun  4 19:43:25 2014] <Kxepal>: nslater: I think that's better to on ML to keep
track of all bits
[Wed Jun  4 19:44:34 2014] <Kxepal>: #action nslater to raise thread on ML about approval
models and vetoes
[Wed Jun  4 19:44:36 2014] <Kxepal>: P:
[Wed Jun  4 19:46:31 2014] <Kxepal>: ASFBot: meeting end


Meeting ended at Wed Jun  4 19:46:31 2014

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/mixed (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message