couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: [REQUES] Review proposed bylaws (Was: Re: [DISCUSS] Project bylaws)
Date Tue, 20 May 2014 14:44:12 GMT

> On May 11, 2014, at 8:35, Noah Slater wrote:
>
> > Community,
> >
> > Please do take the time to review this document. It's not that long,
> > or that complex. An online reading time calculator said it's about 14
> > minutes long. Your input at this stage would be very beneficial for
> > the project. (Anyone!)

Thank-you to everybody who’s already contributed, it’s superb. I’ve a few
small questions below. BTW pretty markdwon if you prefer that at
https://gist.github.com/dch/5af1d123893b17a5d1ce .
# ByLaws

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=40511017

# Re "2. Roles and Responsibilities"

> "An inactive chair can be replaced by the PMC"

Doesn't this actually require board approval for replacement? Technically
this would be a recommendation of the PMC anyway to the board; do we need
to note the difference?

# Re "2.4. Project Management Committee"

> "and that each and every release is the product of the community as a
> whole. That is key to our litigation protection mechanisms."

It might be worth clarifying (somewhere, maybe here) that a key part of the
release process as PMC/committers is ensuring that the release contains only
ALv2 licenced, or other appropriate licenced material. I was originally not
aware of this important distinction.

# Re "3.4. Vetos"

> "Any change to the source code that we distribute in our official
> releases".

When is a veto a veto? e.g. if Q -1's my commit in (say) a proposed merge to
master, I'd assume that's a veto and then work with Q accordingly. Or is
this section only referring to a -1 during the release cycle (in which case
obv the RM would be waving a special flag).

# Re "3.5. Approval Models"

> "Votes on PMC decisions are binding if they are cast by a PMC member"

What is a "PMC Decision"? I assume electing a new committer/PMC member/chair
only? Or does a release *also* fall into this category?

# Re "3.6. Decisions Types"

"Decision Types" reads better to me. YMMV, FFTI.

Is there a good reason for committers *not* to have a binding release vote?
It feels unfair.

— Dave Cottlehuber
dch@jsonified.com
Sent from my Couch