couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Fauxton Release 1.x / 2.0
Date Mon, 12 May 2014 01:18:23 GMT
HI Robert,

thanks for raising this question (instead of me)!

I'd like to add one moment about releasing Fauxton in one of CouchDB
1.x: currently with Futon we ships not web admin interface, but also a
couple of JavaScript libraries that was traditionally been used by
various couchapps: jquery, jquery.couch, jquery.ui and others client
library which is very handy for making rich and interactive show and
list functions. That becomes common practice to reuse them in own
couchapp instead of shipping them separately. So, if we tends to
replace Futon in 1.x we have to keep all these libraries at all their
current locations - otherwise we'll introduce breaking change.

Releasing Fauxton with BigCouch as 2.0 gives us green light to remove
all these JS batteries from CouchDB without guilty that we've broke
something (since BigCouch already introduces some breaking changes
afaik).

So I'm +1 for release Fauxton as 2.0: this gives more time to make it
better, this removes headaches with keeping our JS batteries, this
makes 2.0 release more awesome. Seems like it would be much more easy
way to go. For 1.x users Fauxton also remains available and we can (we
should) provide instructions how to keep it up-to-dated (e.g.
replicate it from http://fauxton.iriscouch.com/master or build from
source).

--