couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <jason.h.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [REQUES] Review proposed bylaws (Was: Re: [DISCUSS] Project bylaws)
Date Tue, 20 May 2014 15:00:38 GMT
On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@jsonified.com> wrote:

> > On May 11, 2014, at 8:35, Noah Slater wrote:
> >
> > > Community,
> > >
> > > Please do take the time to review this document. It's not that long,
> > > or that complex. An online reading time calculator said it's about 14
> > > minutes long. Your input at this stage would be very beneficial for
> > > the project. (Anyone!)
>
> Thank-you to everybody who’s already contributed, it’s superb. I’ve a few
> small questions below. BTW pretty markdwon if you prefer that at
> https://gist.github.com/dch/5af1d123893b17a5d1ce .
> # ByLaws
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=40511017
>
> # Re "2. Roles and Responsibilities"
>
> > "An inactive chair can be replaced by the PMC"
>
> Doesn't this actually require board approval for replacement? Technically
> this would be a recommendation of the PMC anyway to the board; do we need
> to note the difference?
>
> # Re "2.4. Project Management Committee"
>
> > "and that each and every release is the product of the community as a
> > whole. That is key to our litigation protection mechanisms."
>
> It might be worth clarifying (somewhere, maybe here) that a key part of the
> release process as PMC/committers is ensuring that the release contains
> only
> ALv2 licenced, or other appropriate licenced material. I was originally not
> aware of this important distinction.
>
> # Re "3.4. Vetos"
>
> > "Any change to the source code that we distribute in our official
> > releases".
>
> When is a veto a veto? e.g. if Q -1's my commit in (say) a proposed merge
> master,

I believe the system is still commit-then-review, hence the wording about a
revert being necessary if the veto "passes."

> I'd assume that's a veto and then work with Q accordingly. Or is
> this section only referring to a -1 during the release cycle (in which case
> obv the RM would be waving a special flag).

My reading of it (which might be wrong) is basically any Git or Subversion
commit, i.e. anything that would make its way into a release artifact.

> # Re "3.5. Approval Models"
>
> > "Votes on PMC decisions are binding if they are cast by a PMC member"
>
> What is a "PMC Decision"? I assume electing a new committer/PMC
> member/chair
> only? Or does a release *also* fall into this category?

I interpreted this as anything labeled [VOTE] in the PMC discussion list.