couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 13:27:40 GMT
Jason,

My thinking here is modelled on a typical HR policy. There are minor
offences and major offences. Minor ones are met with warnings, and
major ones are met with summary dismissal.

If a PMC member unambiguously, and seriously, acts against the best
interests of the project, then I think it is fitting to remove that
person from the PMC. No warnings, no time-outs.

Everything is reversible. If the person reforms, then we may want to
invite the back. But I hardly think it's likely.

In any case, this whole thing would be decided via voting. So I'm not
worried about the rules being applied irresponsibly.

The way I imagine it working is that, let's say I spot some behaviour
that violates our CoC, I would start a vote on the private@ list with
the subject "[VOTE] Formal warning for Ash Smith" and I would
highlight the part of the CoC that had been violated. Other members of
the PMC would vote in private, lending +1 or -1 votes. If the vote
passes, I would issue a formal warning on behalf of the project.

Warnings would be done in private, and there would be a chance to
appeal (which would be, again, voted on). I think it's a good idea to
post a note to the relevant thread indicating that the community
member received a warning for the behaviour.

Instead of a third warning, we'd issue a time-out. Again decided on by
vote. This person would be removed from the mailing list, IRC, or
JIRA. Whatever makes sense in context. Perhaps all of them at once.

Repeated time-outs would, I guess, just mean that the time-outs get
longer each time. You could start with a day, a week, or whatever, and
go to a month, three months, six months, and so on.

The only thing left to decide is what to do about commit bits and PMC
membership. I think if a committer is put on time-out a second or
third time, we ought to be thinking about removing that person from
the PMC or committership.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater