couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Project by-laws
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 19:50:19 GMT
Okay folks. I've prepared a first draft of our bylaws. Concrit very
much appreciated.

On 28 April 2014 23:48, Joan Touzet <> wrote:
> My line of thinking was along the lines of what Ellis and Stroustrup did in The Annotated
C++ Language Reference Manual[1]. It often helps to have a human being explain what some things
mean through the use of examples or extra text. A crisp legal-ish statement of the rule followed
by some explanatory text would be most helpful, and friendlier for new people to get their
heads around.
> -Joan
> [1]
to a particular item, that doesn’t mean to say we can’t render it better than this. I
would rather not have a document that states everything twice if we can avoid it.
> B.
> On 28 Apr 2014, at 22:09, Joan Touzet <> wrote:
>> I have form issues with these bylaws, primarily that they are intimidating
>> in their layout and structure. Legal-style #.#.#.# can be especially hard
>> to read and encodes a viewpoint that is grounded in the American legal
>> system. The HTML formatting in this specific example is also difficult
>> to read
>> That said, perhaps it is appropriate that our bylaws be this way at least
>> in part. Would anyone object to a plain-language summary up top in addition
>> to the legal #.#.#.# commentary?
>> -Joan

Noah Slater

View raw message