couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <jason.h.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 09:57:40 GMT
TL;DR = Is immediate removal from the project really worth thinking about?

Noah, can you think of an example infraction that could plausibly trigger
an immediate removal from the project, for a first offense? Yes we can all
think of hypothetical examples, but something plausible from this community?

(Am I diving into too much specifics too soon?)

I feel like a time-out (of many months or a year) is a pretty harsh
consequence. I can't think of something (within expectation or project
experience) that would merit much worse. Multiple offenses, or ignoring a
time-out, sure: basically to me the only "major infraction" is "repeated or
multiple willful normal infractions" if you get my meaning.

Imagine a good person who is usually fine but happens to have a very very,
very, bad day. And they cross the line badly on that one day. I shouldn't
think they'd be removed for a first offense even if it is grave. Again, I
am talking about expected or historical real-world behavior, not something
hypothetical like, say, something criminal. The most egregious behavior I
can think of (that we should spend time planning for) is severe
intentional, hurtful, harassment or insult for no productive purpose. Even
that, as a first offense from someone otherwise in good standing, I do not
think merits expulsion. Suspension, but not expulsion.