couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] merge all the forks
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2014 20:29:09 GMT
Here’s a draft. It’s already in the blog, formatted and all. Awaiting your approval/edits/fixes,
thanks!

https://blogs.apache.org/roller-ui/authoring/preview/couchdb/?previewEntry=merging_rcouch
if you have access there.

Source:

base. One way to look at it is as a “future port” of CouchDB, that is for two reasons:

<ol>
if CouchDB would be started to day, it would look a lot like rcouch.</li>
</ol>

news</strong> for you!</p>

We are constantly working on improving that, but one of the larger efforts have been done
within the rcouch project by Apache CouchDB committer <a href="https://twitter.com/benoitc">Benoit
Chesneau</a>.</p>

users, just to name a few:</p>

<ul>
<li>_changes for views.</li>
<li>Replication from views.</li>
<li>Write-only “Drop-Box” databases.</li>
<li>Request validation on-read.</li>
<li>_db_changes (actually, we nicked that one for Apache CouchDB 1.4 already :).</li>
</ul>

on merging the rcouch and the CouchDB codebases. Now it is time to review the merged code
and get it into Apache CouchDB proper and put it into a new release.</p>

rcouch merge branch a spin:</p>

<code>
<pre>
git clone https://github.com/apache/couchdb.git
cd couchdb
git checkout -b 1994-merge-rcouch origin/1994-merge-rcouch

# Read the <a href="https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/DEVELOPERS">DEVELOPERS</a>
file to install all dependencies

# build:
make
make rel

# run:
./rel/apache-couchdb/bin/couchdb start

# now CouchDB is running at <a href="http://127.0.0.1:5984">http://127.0.0.1:5984/_utils/</a>,
as usual, you just won’t see any output.

</pre>
</code>

<hr>

with code reviews. Any small chunks will help!</p>

associated JIRA ticket for more information</a>.</p>

<hr>

<h3>FaQ: how does this relate to BigCouch?</h3>

requests for review when the time is right. Well, actually, if we can convince you to help
with the review of the rcouch merge, we can put even more resources on the BigCouch merge
:)</p>