couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <jo...@atypical.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Erlang whitespace standards (was: [POLL])
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 20:18:31 GMT
I intentionally defer here to people actually working in each file. There's nothing worse than
someone coming in and excreting all over your favourite thing in the name of some arbitrary
standard. That said, if our refactors/rewrites lag too much, we may never get around to fixing
things, and that'd be disappointing.

Would it be fair to put a line in the sand, say, 12 months out, and strongly suggest that
all files be reformatted by then? Or we could tie it to a 2.0 release or similar.

-Joan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Samuel Newson" <rnewson@apache.org>
To: dev@couchdb.apache.org
Sent: Friday, April 4, 2014 10:33:06 AM
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Erlang whitespace standards (was: [POLL])

I appreciate firming up a consensus on indentation styles but I want to be clearly -1 on a
codebase-wide reformatting for the foreseeable future. Beyond the merges, we have active branches
for older releases, the more reformatting we do, the harder back- and forward-porting becomes.
I like the idea of being more consistent for future work and, where code is particularly crufty,
refactoring before making a change. The "worst" formatted code in couchdb is generally the
oldest, and much of that needs a refactor/rewrite as we get to it.

B.