couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2014 20:33:26 GMT
+1, I'll also note that the Debian text has some placeholders
for infractions and positive action being taken to resolve
issues - if agreed we could start with that text and go further.

But I really want to see ideas and text other people have! :D

----- Original Message -----
From: "Noah Slater" <>
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2014 4:01:52 PM
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct

A requirement for me for our CoC is that we have a well defined
response procedure. This is a commonly done for conferences, but is
usually kept private to conference organisers. Obviously, ours will be

To give you an idea of what I'm thinking:

- Minor infractions vs. major infractions
- A warning system for minor infractions (as is common in most
employment situations)
- "Time outs" to let people cool off from IRC, the mailing list, etc
- An escalation procedure in case warnings and cool-offs are ignored
or ineffectual
- Immediate removal from the project in the case of major infractions

I know this all seems like depressing serious business. But
documenting this stuff so that everyone is on the same page, and we've
all pre-agreed to it will massively cut down on drama while allowing
the project to take swift action when needed.

On 28 April 2014 21:48, Joan Touzet <> wrote:
> Benoit said:
>> This one looks really good. What's your plan about the social contract?
>> Take something adapted?
> In the context of this CoC it only refers to:
>   "We will not hide problems
>   We will keep our entire bug report database open for public
>   view at all times. Reports that people file online will
>   promptly become visible to others."
> so we can probably make this explicit, then point to the ASF Bylaws[1]
> and ASF "How it works"[2] for the rest.
> -Joan
> [1]
> [2]