couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: healthcare projects running on couched?
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2014 16:32:01 GMT

On Mar 24, 2014, at 9:19 AM, אורן שני <orenshani7@gmail.com> wrote:

> Id appreciate it if you could elaborate a little about why do you think
> couchDB is more fit for medinfo projects, comparing to SQL DB's.

The ease of data synchronization/replication, primarily. This is more robust: there’s no
central point of failure, and the data can be stored near the people who need access to it.
And as I just posted, there are several mobile implementations that allow the data to be stored
literally in the user’s pocket where it can be accessed and updated even while offline.

The replication model even supports peer-to-peer sync, which would allow users to share data
in a situation like a disaster area or wilderness where there is no network infrastructure
available. (I’m not making this up: I have heard of NGOs using CouchDB-based systems in
refugee camps in Africa.)

—Jens