couchdb-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From ASF IRC Bot <asf...@urd.zones.apache.org>
Subject Summary of IRC Meeting in #couchdb-meeting
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2014 19:36:51 GMT
Summary of IRC Meeting in #couchdb-meeting at Wed Mar 26 19:04:20 2014:

Attendees: Wohali, awenkhh, dch, Kxepal, benoitc, chewbranca

- Preface
- 1.6.rc-2
  - Action: dch to collate discussion from this meeting and send to ML
- marketing
- fauxton
- merges
  - Action: dch to sum up and send note to dev@
- other business


IRC log follows:

## Preface ##
[Wed Mar 26 19:05:24 2014] <dch>: so topics today, 1.6.rc-2 marketing fauxton merges
then.
## 1.6.rc-2 ##
[Wed Mar 26 19:06:07 2014] <dch>: AFAICT the only blocker we are caring about is the
COUCHDB-1986
[Wed Mar 26 19:06:23 2014] <dch>: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1986
[Wed Mar 26 19:06:47 2014] <dch>: benoitc: maybe you want to comment, but atm I am reasonably
happy with commiting either:
[Wed Mar 26 19:07:02 2014] <dch>: - uncommenting the mochiweb default socket options
in default.ini
[Wed Mar 26 19:07:22 2014] <dch>: - or the hardwired -define(RECBUF_SIZE, 8192 * 4).
in mochiweb’s hrl file
[Wed Mar 26 19:07:25 2014] <Wohali>: oop
[Wed Mar 26 19:07:50 2014] <dch>: but I don’t personally understand what the underlying
problem is that these changes address
[Wed Mar 26 19:08:26 2014] <benoitc>: dch why not doing an alternatives, ie set the
option just for the tests
[Wed Mar 26 19:08:35 2014] <benoitc>: since noone complained yet in real life
[Wed Mar 26 19:08:45 2014] <benoitc>: and let the ticket open
[Wed Mar 26 19:08:52 2014] <benoitc>: i am pretty sure the pb is the parser
[Wed Mar 26 19:09:06 2014] <benoitc>: but we can "unbreak" the test
[Wed Mar 26 19:09:09 2014] <awenkhh>: benoitc and build a release?
[Wed Mar 26 19:09:13 2014] <benoitc>: yes
[Wed Mar 26 19:09:15 2014] <dch>: benoitc: I’ve definitely got 2 real-life people
who have their replication issues resolved with this change
[Wed Mar 26 19:09:36 2014] <dch>: benoitc: you mean the multi-part parser bits in replicator
itself? not the stuff Nick patched recently.
[Wed Mar 26 19:09:41 2014] <benoitc>: i am not really happy to have the buffer increased
that way
[Wed Mar 26 19:09:51 2014] <benoitc>: dch: yes
[Wed Mar 26 19:10:21 2014] <benoitc>: dch: i am fine with 1 or 3
[Wed Mar 26 19:10:24 2014] <dch>: benoitc: also, but given that a reasonable number
of people are installing couchdb with defaults simply to replicate nodejs registry it seems
worthwhile making that experience better.
[Wed Mar 26 19:10:27 2014] <benoitc>: but definitely not 2
[Wed Mar 26 19:10:47 2014] <dch>: we *could* address that with a reference NPM replication
doc too.
[Wed Mar 26 19:11:17 2014] <benoitc>: dch: 1 or 3 are ok for me
[Wed Mar 26 19:11:31 2014] <benoitc>: if 1, then we should put a not it helps people
irl
[Wed Mar 26 19:11:45 2014] <benoitc>: it''s too bad we have no report of it on the ticket
[Wed Mar 26 19:11:52 2014] <dch>: ok so I will reply to list with the defaults change
[Wed Mar 26 19:12:06 2014] <dch>: benoitc: I will add that, only got feedback on it
last night
[Wed Mar 26 19:12:18 2014] <dch>: 2nd thing
[Wed Mar 26 19:12:42 2014] <dch>: what’s people opinion on cutting a new 1.6.x off
master? we are almost 2 months out from when this release started
[Wed Mar 26 19:13:15 2014] <awenkhh>: I have the feeling that the people who worked
on the issue give there go 
[Wed Mar 26 19:13:19 2014] <dch>: I’m not sure on policy aspect of this, nor if there
are fauxton constraints for a new release off master, but it seems a shame to ship and then
need to ship almost immediately again.
[Wed Mar 26 19:13:20 2014] <awenkhh>: so I am +1
[Wed Mar 26 19:13:38 2014] <benoitc>: i didn't tracked closely the master, etoomuch
ui patches. what's is fixed apart the ui?
[Wed Mar 26 19:14:23 2014] <awenkhh>: we can figure that out with speaking to all these
people via the ml - we should put together all related aspects and finde a cionclusion
[Wed Mar 26 19:14:53 2014] <dch>: #action dch to collate discussion from this meeting
and send to ML
[Wed Mar 26 19:14:54 2014] <benoitc>: +1
[Wed Mar 26 19:15:11 2014] <awenkhh>: dch cool +1 
[Wed Mar 26 19:15:19 2014] <awenkhh>: personal note 
[Wed Mar 26 19:15:22 2014] <dch>: ok, anything else for 1.6?
[Wed Mar 26 19:15:40 2014] <awenkhh>: I also think we should definitely ship a version
soon 
[Wed Mar 26 19:15:40 2014] <benoitc>: nope
[Wed Mar 26 19:15:45 2014] <awenkhh>: no :)
[Wed Mar 26 19:16:05 2014] <Wohali>: did chewbranca did that multi-query to a view thing
into 1.6?
[Wed Mar 26 19:16:15 2014] <Kxepal>: people are already asking on #couchdb why fauxton
in 1.5 is broken, so any his updates in 1.6 will be very...helpful
[Wed Mar 26 19:16:17 2014] <dch>: erm que?
[Wed Mar 26 19:16:17 2014] <chewbranca>: Wohali: naw, it's in the bigcouch branch
[Wed Mar 26 19:16:18 2014] <Wohali>: give me a sec to dig up the ticket.
[Wed Mar 26 19:16:29 2014] <Wohali>: chewbranca: ah. ok, given the mrview stuff i guess
it's nontrivial to pull into 1.6?
[Wed Mar 26 19:16:29 2014] <dch>: ok last call for 1.6.stuff …. 
[Wed Mar 26 19:16:36 2014] <Wohali>: I had a bunch of people hounding me for that.
[Wed Mar 26 19:16:45 2014] <Wohali>: you're relying on fabric i presume so n/m
[Wed Mar 26 19:17:05 2014] <dch>: done!
[Wed Mar 26 19:17:05 2014] <chewbranca>: Wohali: it could be back ported, it's not too
complicated and it works on single node but might be outside the scope of 1.6
[Wed Mar 26 19:17:07 2014] <chewbranca>: when is 1.6 going?
[Wed Mar 26 19:17:09 2014] <benoitc>: Kxepal: we should add a beta banner on it. we
removed it from rcouch for now. 
[Wed Mar 26 19:17:14 2014] <benoitc>: on fauxton i mean
[Wed Mar 26 19:17:25 2014] <benoitc>: so people are constantly aware this is in beta
[Wed Mar 26 19:17:29 2014] <dch>: people let’s move along, we are drifting topic here...
## marketing ##
[Wed Mar 26 19:17:34 2014] <benoitc>: or smth like it
[Wed Mar 26 19:17:45 2014] <dch>: awenkhh: you have the floor/keyboard
[Wed Mar 26 19:18:10 2014] <awenkhh>: ok - we have a new team member - it#s Lena from
Berlin
[Wed Mar 26 19:18:29 2014] <awenkhh>: she will help with weekly news 
[Wed Mar 26 19:18:29 2014] <dch>: \o/ welcome Lena
[Wed Mar 26 19:18:45 2014] <dch>: reminder for me to dig out my stash of 10000 couch
links
[Wed Mar 26 19:18:48 2014] <dch>: yes
[Wed Mar 26 19:18:55 2014] <awenkhh>: she is doing that already for hoodie - so yeah
- awesome 
[Wed Mar 26 19:18:57 2014] <awenkhh>: :)
[Wed Mar 26 19:19:01 2014] <Kxepal>: dch: I'll ping you about...again (;
[Wed Mar 26 19:19:11 2014] <awenkhh>: dch +1
[Wed Mar 26 19:19:14 2014] <awenkhh>: :)
[Wed Mar 26 19:19:45 2014] <dch>: ok I think we are done for marketing.
[Wed Mar 26 19:19:52 2014] <awenkhh>: 1 sec
[Wed Mar 26 19:21:52 2014] <awenkhh>: ok that's it for marketing atm
## fauxton ##
[Wed Mar 26 19:22:43 2014] <dch>: AFAICT deathbear and garren have been extremely busy
following up all the tickets from Kxepal 
[Wed Mar 26 19:22:50 2014] <dch>: they are doing an *amazing* job
[Wed Mar 26 19:22:57 2014] <awenkhh>: yes - they are aweseom 
[Wed Mar 26 19:23:10 2014] <awenkhh>: and Robert jumped in also with great fixes and
contributions 
[Wed Mar 26 19:23:44 2014] <awenkhh>: I ask myself which status Fauxton has now
[Wed Mar 26 19:23:45 2014] <dch>: it looks great and is really easy to use, the JSON
editor for example is fantastic
[Wed Mar 26 19:23:48 2014] <awenkhh>: for 1.6 ...
[Wed Mar 26 19:24:00 2014] <awenkhh>: can it already remove Futon? 
[Wed Mar 26 19:24:05 2014] <dch>: last I heard from deathbear is that some important
things need more work, so not yet
[Wed Mar 26 19:24:10 2014] <dch>: :-(
[Wed Mar 26 19:24:17 2014] <awenkhh>: ok 
[Wed Mar 26 19:24:24 2014] <dch>: next up, merges
[Wed Mar 26 19:24:26 2014] <Wohali>: replication for one
[Wed Mar 26 19:24:29 2014] <Wohali>: (fauxton)
[Wed Mar 26 19:24:31 2014] <dch>: yup
[Wed Mar 26 19:24:33 2014] <awenkhh>: tahts fine - we should mark it as beta then like
benoitc suggested
[Wed Mar 26 19:24:44 2014] <awenkhh>: ok 
## merges ##
[Wed Mar 26 19:25:22 2014] <dch>: to set the scene mmm a few weeks ago benoitc I think
said the rcouch work is from his perspective ready to merge, am I right?
[Wed Mar 26 19:25:30 2014] <dch>: and there’s been a lot of activity on bigcouch related
work
[Wed Mar 26 19:25:32 2014] <benoitc>: yes
[Wed Mar 26 19:25:40 2014] <benoitc>: it's landed since 5 weeks
[Wed Mar 26 19:25:44 2014] <benoitc>: and tests pass
[Wed Mar 26 19:26:02 2014] <benoitc>: https://travis-ci.org/refuge/rcouch
[Wed Mar 26 19:26:12 2014] <dch>: it seems we are near an inflection point now.
[Wed Mar 26 19:26:27 2014] <dch>: we could pull in rcouch, assume this is a “2.0 sort
of release"
[Wed Mar 26 19:26:31 2014] <chewbranca>: I'm wrapping up the fabric + couch_mrview integration,
should have that sorted this week
[Wed Mar 26 19:26:37 2014] <awenkhh>: benoitc so when would you merge it for a release?
[Wed Mar 26 19:26:48 2014] <awenkhh>: dch ah .. ok 
[Wed Mar 26 19:26:52 2014] <dch>: chewbranca: do you have any feel for the bigcouch
work?
[Wed Mar 26 19:27:00 2014] <dch>: are we at a similar point there?
[Wed Mar 26 19:27:07 2014] <benoitc>: it all depends on bigcouch and what we do
[Wed Mar 26 19:27:09 2014] <dch>: and pragmatically where would we go from that point
on?
[Wed Mar 26 19:27:13 2014] <chewbranca>: I think it's better to merge bigcouch and rcouch
at the same time and make one release, although rnewson and davisp would have a better idea
there
[Wed Mar 26 19:27:17 2014] <awenkhh>: benoitc ok 
[Wed Mar 26 19:27:20 2014] <benoitc>: dch: davisp mentionned a lot of points not adressed
yet
[Wed Mar 26 19:27:58 2014] <awenkhh>: I understood that it's not possible yet when the
bigcouch merge is done
[Wed Mar 26 19:28:07 2014] <awenkhh>: *possible to say
[Wed Mar 26 19:28:37 2014] <benoitc>: it would be me i would merge it now and cut a
release then add the rest
[Wed Mar 26 19:28:57 2014] <benoitc>: but what we decided is to merge both in 1 release
[Wed Mar 26 19:29:07 2014] <dch>: so I can do the same as for 1.6, summarise the situation
and post to ML for where we go.
[Wed Mar 26 19:29:20 2014] <awenkhh>: +1 on that 
[Wed Mar 26 19:29:24 2014] <benoitc>: the merge of rcouch is done, but nobody except
me reviewed it yet
[Wed Mar 26 19:29:28 2014] <dch>: progress is important, let’s make sure in this case
we have a reaonable understanding of the implications
[Wed Mar 26 19:29:39 2014] <benoitc>: ok
[Wed Mar 26 19:29:56 2014] <awenkhh>: I would love to see a summary ... it's a bit hidden
for me - status wise 
[Wed Mar 26 19:29:57 2014] <benoitc>: i would like to insist on the need of reviews
[Wed Mar 26 19:29:58 2014] <dch>: benoitc: I will start reviewing it this week.
[Wed Mar 26 19:30:07 2014] <dch>: +1 for reviews
[Wed Mar 26 19:30:07 2014] <chewbranca>: yeah let's get this out to the mailing list,
not having davisp or rnewson present doesn't help
[Wed Mar 26 19:30:11 2014] <benoitc>: also would be cool to add it to the ci
[Wed Mar 26 19:30:12 2014] <awenkhh>: benoitc how can I help?
[Wed Mar 26 19:30:18 2014] <dch>: chewbranca: you poke those sleeping dogs ;-)
[Wed Mar 26 19:30:27 2014] <benoitc>: awenkhh: testing anyting that came in your mind
[Wed Mar 26 19:30:28 2014] <awenkhh>: benoitc btw I tested the branch :)
[Wed Mar 26 19:30:33 2014] <chewbranca>: dch: yeah trying ;-)
[Wed Mar 26 19:30:43 2014] <awenkhh>: benoitc ok I will do !
[Wed Mar 26 19:30:49 2014] <dch>: ok so for merges we are done I think, yes?
[Wed Mar 26 19:31:04 2014] <benoitc>: mmm i will make  proper request
[Wed Mar 26 19:31:17 2014] <dch>: #action dch to sum up and send note to dev@
[Wed Mar 26 19:31:18 2014] <benoitc>: but it's about time to have both bigcouch and
rcouch branch to the ci
[Wed Mar 26 19:31:26 2014] <benoitc>: and the intermediate one once it's up
[Wed Mar 26 19:32:15 2014] <awenkhh>: maybe there is a need to rethink the original
idea to have both merges in one release?
[Wed Mar 26 19:32:43 2014] <dch>: awenkhh: I don’t think there was ever a plan to
do that, but we wanted to bring both branches to aaah
[Wed Mar 26 19:33:06 2014] <dch>: to a common baseline, around some arbitrary point
end of last year IIRC. details available somewhere.
[Wed Mar 26 19:33:33 2014] <awenkhh>: hm ... 
[Wed Mar 26 19:34:05 2014] <awenkhh>: not sure what is the best way here - maybe it
would be good to discuss this 
[Wed Mar 26 19:34:12 2014] <benoitc>: dch: if you remmeber this graph at the vienna
meetup
[Wed Mar 26 19:34:16 2014] <benoitc>: it was the plan
[Wed Mar 26 19:34:16 2014] <awenkhh>: point ... but not now and here
[Wed Mar 26 19:34:21 2014] <dch>: benoitc: I do, yes
[Wed Mar 26 19:34:22 2014] <benoitc>: with intermediate milestones
[Wed Mar 26 19:34:36 2014] <dch>: awenkhh: yes, we should cover this on the ML.
[Wed Mar 26 19:34:41 2014] <benoitc>: there is a ticket that summarise that
[Wed Mar 26 19:34:47 2014] <benoitc>: anyway i have to go
[Wed Mar 26 19:34:49 2014] <awenkhh>: dch great!
## other business ##
[Wed Mar 26 19:35:11 2014] <dch>: last chance to chip in before we close up
[Wed Mar 26 19:35:14 2014] <Wohali>: my cat says: meow.
[Wed Mar 26 19:35:36 2014] <dch>: ACTION says miaow to Wohali’s cat
[Wed Mar 26 19:35:50 2014] <dch>: ok thanks everybody, let’s call that a night/morning.
[Wed Mar 26 19:35:51 2014] <dch>: tyvm
[Wed Mar 26 19:36:05 2014] <awenkhh>: thanks Dave for moderating :)
[Wed Mar 26 19:36:08 2014] <dch>: ASFBot: meeting end


Meeting ended at Wed Mar 26 19:36:08 2014

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/mixed (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message