couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject [POLL] Erlang whitespace standards
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2014 21:11:21 GMT
Time for everyone's favourite topic: whitespace standards.

I know many of you are fed up with not being able to auto format in
your favourite editor and match the CouchDB Erlang coding standards, or
receiving pull requests that are formatted poorly.

I'd like to fix that with an appropriate whitespace standard, and
supplementary plugins for vi and emacs that will just Do The Right Thing
and let us all stop worrying about whitespace corrections in pull
requests.

The basic rules seem to be:

    * Indent everything 4 spaces (not 2 or 8, and no tabs)
    * Single blank lines between functions
    * No blank lines between guarded versions of the
      same function (e.g. couch_btree.erl#L36-L47)

but beyond that there is some inconsistency in both the code and in
discussion with other devs.

Here's a short poll I threw together in Google Docs. I'd love it if you
could take 5 minutes to reply to it. Early next week I'll summarize and
post the results. Once we have agreement we can toss up a super small
Markdown guide / wiki page / whatever and get started on the emacs/vi
modifications to support it.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1b7KcQGgNbSCZVRwLjrUl5Z6C2TBx8X1btlU5fwrNHpg/edit#

Thanks,
Joan