couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Experimenting as a way to decide WAS: [DISCUSS] Move more email to the commits list
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:28:32 GMT
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> Experiments are fun (: and the only way to find the sweet spot or
> >> ensure that it had been already found.
> >>

> > that why we advise to the babies to put there finger in the power-plug.
> > It's funny ;)
>
> This is incorrect analogy since it produces different behaviour and
> have very different side effects. You can always rollback ML changes,
> but I'm not sure that you can do the same for the bad things in your
> life. Anyway, offopic (:

No not really,

It's common to think that we can easily rollback on internet. In practice
that is not that easy. You have to decide about deadlines, make sure people
understood why. And at first convince people to use them. What do you do
for people not convinced at first, are you handling both and old way? Are
you forcing other to try? How do you convince people not convinced to try?
What if at the end they didn't try? ....

Just like some people says it's better to not put a protection on the plug,
say to the baby it's bad and let see... Experimenting should be carefully
discussed first imo and used in the last resort.

- benoit