couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Experimenting as a way to decide WAS: [DISCUSS] Move more email to the commits list
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2014 13:20:38 GMT
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> An experiment should be well defined, should have an owner
> (preferably), should have success/failure criteria, and should have an
> end date.
>
> As long as we have these things, I don't see any harm in experimenting
> to see what works.

+ the knowledge on how to make undecided people participating to the exp.
If not you are simply forgetting them.

> Communities (and other complex systems) are not like code. You cannot
> write unit tests. You can't even debug them that well. Experimentation
> is an important tool. Otherwise you'd never be able to make changes,
> because nothing is certain or known beforehand.

I know. (Why people still forget I am not a computer science guy ;) But we
can have some well defined milestones, figures we want to confirm and
prepared poll on each. Ie to assert that a step has been achieved.
Community building is not an exact science, but it is something that could
be bordered imo.

- benoit

PS: note that I do think we are thinking quite the same on that. I am not
implying anything else.