couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Marketing suggestion
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2014 09:14:39 GMT
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:

> On 3 February 2014 08:42, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Ashley,
>>>
>>> Wrt marketing plans: yes, but half way between my head, and my private
>>> notes. Unfortunately, my private notes also contain things from
>>> private conversations with people. Major mistake on my part. Apologies
>>> to the community.
>>>
>>> I've just sent an email giving a few people notice that I plan to
>>> start moving things over to the wiki. Hopefully over the next week or
>>> so I can get all of our existing marketing ideas in a communal space
>>> so we can start to discuss it.
>>>
>>> As for the marketing@ list: great. So what we'll do now is wait
>>> another day or two. If nobody objects, we can make the list. (This is
>>> how we make most of our decisions on the project.
>>>

>> I am not sure it's a good idea to have a marketing list. Marketing should
>> be linked to dev and vice-versa . It's important that marketing follows dev
>> discussion and that dev follows and interact with the marketing. Having 2
>> mailing-lists will create a disconnection. Which is good path to the
>> failure in tech. Also due to the low volumes of mails on @dev this
>> shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>> - benoit
>>

> hm ... I understand exactly what you mean and I agree, if we would speak
> of a company with different big departments here. But in our project I
> think it is totally ok that we have two different lists and the people who
> are strongly interested in both parts should subscribe both lists. The
> advantage imho is to not flood the dev@ list with unrelated stuff ...

Why do you think it would be different because we are an opensource
project? If marketing people don't want to follow all devs discussion then
there is some perspective problem imo. The same for devs that ignore the
users perspectives. Marketing should be elaborated with all the devs, not
in a side corner. At least this what we learn in management schools. And
this is really true for a **neutral**  opensource project which has no
business perspective (and shouldn't have).

- benoit