couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Goals for 2014
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2014 16:06:13 GMT
On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Robert Samuel Newson <rnewson@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's largely because we're all busy with wholly bigcouch internal things
> on our 1843-feature-bigcouch branch, there's nothing *yet* to
> cooperate/feedback about. The closest thing is the bit I'm hacking on
> ("Build with rebar").
>
> I agree that we should not be inventing new things during the merge, but
> then I saw you were splitting out parts of couch_httpd elsewhere, which
> counts as that.

Actually :

https://github.com/refuge/couch_core/tree/master/apps/couch_httpd

The difference is that couch_changes is not its own app like it is in
rcouch:

https://github.com/refuge/couch_core/tree/master/apps/couch_changes

because i ported the latest but non released in that branch yet of the
code. I also not integrated the usage of barrel, to easy any merge. So
nothing really new in that split. I just simplified it compared to rcouch
(if you see in the history this is how it started anyway) in view of
speeding the final merge and propose other changes as patches later.

> Before bigcouch can be merged, it needs to build and run and perform as
> many of the features as possible, that simply can't happen until 'make'
> works. I deliberately started from your rebar.config.script rather than the
> code that bigcouch uses (which uses Scons) as it's the right approach. That
> it's not identical is not a problem, in my opinion, but we can judge that
> at merge time. It needs to work first.
>
> I appreciate your "during 2 years" comment but let's not go there, I can
> pull a larger value, as can everyone else at Cloudant, but that's going to
> be tiresome and divisive and it achieves nothing.
>
> Short version: If it was as simple as dropping in the rcouch versions of
> these pieces, I'd have finished a week ago. Software is not so simple.

ok... I will forget to answer to that part. I will rather focus on
finishing these latest patches.

- benoit