couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Will GeoCouch be integrated into CouchDB with the rcouch merge?
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2014 06:39:16 GMT
On Feb 17, 2014 7:27 AM, "Benoit Chesneau" <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2014 7:10 AM, "Patrick Arlt" <patrick.arlt@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > rcouch says it has GeoCouch integrated into it and I'm wondering with
> > rcouch merging into CouchDB I'm wondering if Geocouch will also be
> > integrated into the CouchDB codebase. Native handling of geographic data
> > would be an amazing. But I've also seen lots of mentions of GeoCouch as
> > great example of what a CouchDB Plugin would be.
> >
> > So which is it going be? Integrated into the core codebase or as a
plugin?

> Technically geocouch is an extension inside rcouch. Once there will be a
proper plugin systeme in rcouch it will also be one default plugin. Right
now we are not convinced by the implementation of plugins and we are
looking for a more erlangish way to do it.

by we I meant inside rcouch. We tried the current system which works well
for some usage and is a really good way to add plugins dynamically on a
standalone node. But we also need the following features:

- beeing able to deploy the release with its plugins on multiple machines
- beeing able to upgrade it cleanly like an erlang release.
- versionning

and other stuffs.

We are working on it trying to define a "plugin cycle" that fit the bill  :)

- benoit