couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Query Server Tests
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:26:47 GMT
Hi Jan.

This is good idea, but I think the implementation should be different.

What's the main problem of Ruby's tests? It isn't reusable. You cannot
use it for testing brand new query server done in language X. You'll
have to rewrite it completely. That's boring and counter productive.

Instead of this, we could just provide JSON test files: input and
output. The work flow for every query server will be trivial: clone
repo with test files, read the input.json send it to query server
expect the output.json. That's is. And we're all will be sure that
every query server in the world shares same behaviour for every cases
and especially for edge ones.

--
,,,^..^,,,

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I spent my Sunday hack time on extracting our rather hidden and little-exercised query
server tests (https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/test/view_server/query_server_spec.rb)
into a standalone project as well as porting it to node, to finally get rid of our Ruby dependency
there.

> I’ve only got the basic framework and two tests ported yet, but it should be all set
up to be filled in with the rest of the tests. Any help on the legwork there would be appreciated
:)

> The basic idea is that we a) shed the tests for the erlang query server, as we should
move them into the etap tests and b) make this a custom project, so other query-server implementations
have an easier time testing. I hope we can maintain this at the ASF git as the `couchdb-test-couchjs`
repo (bikesheds welcome).