couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move more email to the commits list
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2014 23:50:10 GMT
Sorry for a bit offtopic start, but looking on all these talks about
ML I wonder why people don't use mail filters in their clients? This
is the awesome way to organize email by topics in the way you liked
and don't care about from which address it arrived. Adv. off (:

While I feel that idea is good and rationale, I think that moving JIRA
/ wiki / github bits to commits@ will tend people (especially, who
didn't organize his mail box) to ignore them even more since every
feature branch rebase or large stuff merge generates a lot of emails
that people will not read, but just archive or ever drop. Such massive
spam rarely arrives from GitHub or I hope Review Board. As for JIRA it
was only happened during clean up procedures. Also, having JIRA /
Reviews requests in dev@ may attract other people (who have no need to
read and review every our commit) to take a look on them and even
contribute idea, thoughts or even some work on.

--
,,,^..^,,,

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 3:23 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> I know there are some people who really struggle with the workload of
> dev@, who would be interested in general project discussion, but feel
> swamped by JIRA, etc.
>
> I think if there's a chance that we can gain even one more person
> because dev@ is easier to cope with (and assuming no significant
> downsides) then it's a worthwhile change.
>
> If there's a particularly interesting thread in a JIRA that we want to
> make sure everyone sees, it should be easy enough to just link to it
> from dev@.
>
> I would say though, with my PMC hat on: I expect all committers to be
> subscribed to commits@. (Today, as in, right now. Irrespective of this
> change.) I don't see how a committer can do their job without it.
>
> On 4 February 2014 22:40, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
>> Tricky.  I'm fine with trying it out, but I do wonder how many casual followers of
dev@ would miss the really interesting technical conversations that sometime happen on code
reviews and (especially) JIRA tickets.  Not an easy thing to measure.