couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <a...@nms.de>
Subject Re: [NOTICE] Create marketing@ lis (Was: Re: Marketing suggestion)
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2014 08:03:47 GMT
Hi Noah and Benoit,

I want to drop a personal note here. I do agree with both your targets and
I am sure that both of you have very much more experience in this project
regarding communication and organization. But what I feel right here is,
that Benoit feels kind of unheard and Noah doesn't want to grow a
discussion but want to make faster decisions what I think is very helpful.
I think in this case here, you are both doing it wrong. Benoit, I think we
discussed the point a lot and my last comment was to ask other's about
their opinion (not willing to start a week long discussion). So we could
come to a quick conclusion if people read the stuff and give a quick
comment (what Nick did). Noah, I think you have been a little too fast. It
would have been great to first explain the fact, that you want to make
faster progress. Your last reply was clear and explaining. Your first
answer to Benoit's comment was also for me a little ... let's say 'forcing'.

Hey we are not made out of sugar. But let's find a good way to have further
great discussions with the focus to make quick(er) decisions. And let's
keep in mind, that we are not sitting next to each other and that we have
to use this medium email to get our work done.

I am looking forward to work on the "marketing" stuff soon.

Cheers

Andy

On 3 February 2014 19:14, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> >> there are people who are not participating because they don't want to
> >> be on dev@.
> >>
> >> So my goal here is to create a "safe/focused" place where people who
> >> are interested in the "softer" side of marketing and project/community
> >> growth to hang out and discuss things without:
> >>
> >> a) Having to feel put off by devs or dev discussion
> >> b) Having to feel like they are wasting people's
> time/bandwidth/attention
> >>
> >> "Having a marketing list is also quite uncommon in an opensource
> >> projects."
> >>
> >> I don't care. We find what works for us, not what works for other
> >> people. Though, as you mention it, the idea for a marketing@ list
> >> comes from Apache CloudStack. They have one, and it is working out
> >> just fine for them. They get lots of non-dev participation, which is
> >> exactly the sort of thing I am hoping for. You don't have to be able
> >> to code to contribute to CouchDB.
> >>
> >> "When a project starts to have more than 2 lists it starts to be
> >> really annoying to track and quite expensive."
> >>
> >> Expensive in what sense? We already have a number of lists. I think
> >> this expansionism is a good thing. If the lists don't work, it's not a
> >> problem. We close the list, and we move the discussion back to dev.
> >> This is a reversible experiment.
> >>
> >> "I'd be in favour of keeping the number of lists small until it
> >> becomes clear that some topic needs to spin off into its own list."
> >>
> >> We didn't do this for erlang@, or l10n@, or replication@. In each
> >> case, we identified that there might be some discussion which is *not
> >> happening yet because the dev@ list is not a good place for it*.
> >>
> >> "While the volume of marketing emails is low, it's not hard for devs
> >> who aren't that interested in marketing to ignore them, just as those
> >> who aren't interested in specific dev topics can ignore those."
> >>
> >> I believe that just like people talking about how to learn Erlang, and
> >> people talking about translation, and people talking about third-party
> >> apps, the reason the volume is so low is because there is/was no place
> >> to talk about it.
> >>
> >> Our dev list is noisy, can be unfriendly, and is mostly focused on
> >> dbcore dev. (Unsurprisingly.)
> >>
> >> That's fine. But there are other areas to contribute. And I outright
> >> reject the idea that you need to know anything about dbcore or Erlang
> >> or even how to programme to be able to contribute to CouchDB.
> >>
> >> I don't want to dwell on this. I appreciate the discussion, but I
> >> don't want to get lost in the weeds.
> >>
> >> Having acknowledged the concerns raised, I will keep a close eye on
> >> the marketing@ list and assume responsibility for it. I can provide
> >> oversight, and am happy to report on progress in three months, six
> >> months, and so on.
> >>
> >> If this isn't good enough, please raise a formal objection to the
> >> proposal. I will then attempt to call a majority consensus vote so
> >> that we can get this over and done with.

Marketing

> project
> who
The