couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <a...@nms.de>
Subject Re: Marketing suggestion
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2014 09:27:22 GMT
On 3 February 2014 10:14, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:

>>> I am not sure it's a good idea to have a marketing list. Marketing
>>> should be linked to dev and vice-versa . It's important that marketing
>>> follows dev discussion and that dev follows and interact with the
>>> marketing. Having 2 mailing-lists will create a disconnection. Which is
>>> good path to the failure in tech. Also due to the low volumes of mails on
>>> @dev this shouldn't be a problem.
>>>
>>> - benoit
>>>

>> hm ... I understand exactly what you mean and I agree, if we would speak
>> of a company with different big departments here. But in our project I
>> think it is totally ok that we have two different lists and the people who
>> are strongly interested in both parts should subscribe both lists. The
>> advantage imho is to not flood the dev@ list with unrelated stuff ...
>>

> Why do you think it would be different because we are an opensource
> project? If marketing people don't want to follow all devs discussion then
> there is some perspective problem imo. The same for devs that ignore the
> users perspectives. Marketing should be elaborated with all the devs, not
> in a side corner. At least this what we learn in management schools. And
> this is really true for a **neutral**  opensource project which has no
> business perspective (and shouldn't have).
>
> - benoit

I did not mean to see it differently because we are an OpenSource project
but because of the size of the project. I don't think that we will have the
situation, that the marketing activities are going into a different
direction because of having two lists. I still believe that everything is
very transparent. Having more lists does not lead to in-transparencies but
will lead in more focused discussions. The connection between marketing and
development targets is created by the interest people have - and they
should be interested in both and should therefor subscribe both lists ...
if they don't they are not interested in marketing activities (what is ok
for me). But I agree that if no dev will subscribe the marketing list, we
will have the marketing activities in a side corner ...

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

http://www.couchdb-buch.de