couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Query Server Tests
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2014 00:01:46 GMT
Update:

I’m done porting all the JS tests now and they all pass.

Writing new compatible JS query servers should be easier now.

There is some code cleanup that I want to do at some point, but this is good to be used.

Best
Jan
--

On 17 Feb 2014, at 11:43 , Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On 17 Feb 2014, at 11:26 , Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jan.
>>
>> This is good idea, but I think the implementation should be different.
>>
>> What's the main problem of Ruby's tests? It isn't reusable. You cannot
>> use it for testing brand new query server done in language X. You'll
>> have to rewrite it completely. That's boring and counter productive.
>>
>> Instead of this, we could just provide JSON test files: input and
>> output. The work flow for every query server will be trivial: clone
>> repo with test files, read the input.json send it to query server
>> expect the output.json. That's is. And we're all will be sure that
>> every query server in the world shares same behaviour for every cases
>> and especially for edge ones.
>
> I did this mainly to encourage more people to fix up the Node query
> server. I’m happy to think about how to turn this into a more general
> query server testing framework once we’ve got that, until then, you
> are still welcome to do so, but I’ll focus on something that I know
> I could finish (some help would still be nice though :).
>
> Best
> Jan
> --
>

>> --
>> ,,,^..^,,,
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I spent my Sunday hack time on extracting our rather hidden and little-exercised
query server tests (https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/test/view_server/query_server_spec.rb)
into a standalone project as well as porting it to node, to finally get rid of our Ruby dependency
there.

>>> I’ve only got the basic framework and two tests ported yet, but it should be
all set up to be filled in with the rest of the tests. Any help on the legwork there would
be appreciated :)

>>> The basic idea is that we a) shed the tests for the erlang query server, as we
should move them into the etap tests and b) make this a custom project, so other query-server
implementations have an easier time testing. I hope we can maintain this at the ASF git as
the `couchdb-test-couchjs` repo (bikesheds welcome).