couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Re: Review Board
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:48:34 GMT
On 2/19/14, 10:06 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:

>>> well nobody really tried it ...
>>>
>>> There is apparently some possibilities to bind automatically the
>>> review to review board, but not sure if it's feasible on apache. Also
>>> not sure It's the right tool, I preferred gerrit because it is abel to
>>> handle automatically the PRs from github.
>>>
>>> It would be good to have the PR directly on apache. So people don't
>>> have to register to a privately held service just to review a code.
>>> Anyway. At first maybe people could really try the tool before taking
>>> any decision. I will try, myself when I am back in 2 weeks -if it's
>>> still there -. Waiting for my flight right now.
>>>
>>> - benoit
>>
>> maybe the fact that nobody tried to us it is a sign, that it is (at least
>> for now) not the right tool for the job? The efforts to use github for
>> reviews has for me (at least for now) shown, that this could lead into the
>> right direction.
>>
>> Save travels :)
>>
> My concern is that it force people to go on a privately held service
> (and encouraging people to use it). Having notifications on the ml is
> awesome but not enough imo.

We'll always be dependent on something. The Apache Foundation's been OK
with the use of Github (afaik), so I don't see a problem with
continuing. We're not at risk of loosing code. We get a simpler, more
familiar process for new devs--something we need more of! And one of the
simplest code review and sharing available with no more maintenance time
required from us or the Foundation.

+1 for sticking with Github PRs and encouraging their use.

We still have Jira issues and email for folks that'd like to email/post
patches that way. Review of those could even be made into a branch on
Github--by the interested developer(s)/committers--for further
review/discussion.

Let's keep moving. :)