couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Samuel Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Goals for 2014
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2014 15:50:48 GMT
Hi,

It’s largely because we’re all busy with wholly bigcouch internal things on our 1843-feature-bigcouch
branch, there’s nothing *yet* to cooperate/feedback about. The closest thing is the bit
I’m hacking on ("Build with rebar").

I agree that we should not be inventing new things during the merge, but then I saw you were
splitting out parts of couch_httpd elsewhere, which counts as that.

Before bigcouch can be merged, it needs to build and run and perform as many of the features
as possible, that simply can’t happen until 'make' works. I deliberately started from your
rebar.config.script rather than the code that bigcouch uses (which uses Scons) as it’s the
right approach. That it’s not identical is not a problem, in my opinion, but we can judge
that at merge time. It needs to work first.

I appreciate your "during 2 years" comment but let’s not go there, I can pull a larger value,
as can everyone else at Cloudant, but that’s going to be tiresome and divisive and it achieves
nothing.

Short version: If it was as simple as dropping in the rcouch versions of these pieces, I’d
have finished a week ago. Software is not so simple.

B.