couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Interested in Helping with CI
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2014 17:40:00 GMT

and the VMs. Here's my key https://gist.github.com/crigor/c030cad495327bea5944.

> Thanks! I’ll let you know once things are set up.

You are all set up here now and I have add your pubkey to all the CI build machines. :)

Good luck!
Jan
--

>> Is there a list of items that needs to be done in jira or somewhere else? You mentioned
a few things here. Where can we discuss them in detail?

> I’ve created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-2008 to do this.
>
> Best
> Jan
> --
>

>> Regards,
>> Chris
>>

>>> Subject: Re: Interested in Helping with CI
>>> From: jan@apache.org
>>> Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 20:29:59 +0100
>>> CC: dev@couchdb.apache.org
>>> To: crigor@rigprog.com
>>>
>>> Heya Christopher,
>>>
>>> thanks for wanting to help out! CI is very important but currently a bit stuck,
so any help is appreciated.

>>> Aside from what’s documented in the wiki, there are a few new developments
that I am overdue to share with the group, so thanks for nudging me :)

>>> I am happy to report that a SysEleven, a local hosting provider in Berlin has
donated a rather beefy box to the CouchDB project to be used for CI purposes. The server comes
with preinstalled VMs (see the list below) and we can request further VMs. Management of the
VMs is entirely up to us.

>>> Initially, Till offered to get some more reproducible and automated deployment
& setup going with Chef & friends but that effort stalled a bit because of technical
issues.

>>> Dave has a new idea for setting that up (I’ll leave it to Dave to fill in the
exact details), that involves Ansible & Packer. We’d need help to come up with a concrete
set up that can be deployed on the VMs and hooked into Jenkins.

>>> The mid-term goal is to get all this into the hands of ASF infra, but I’d like
to get it all running, so we don’t have to waste their time with setup woes that we can
easily do ourselves.

>>> I can hand out access to the current Jenkins setup (at http://ci.couchdb.org:8888)
as well as the VMs at request.

>>> The current VM/OS list is as follows:
>>>
>>> ubuntu64-1004
>>> ubuntu32-1004
>>> debian64-7
>>> debian32-7
>>> fedora64-17
>>> fedora32-17
>>> centos32-6
>>> centos64-6
>>> fedora32-18
>>> fedora64-18
>>>
>>> We can get more, including BSDs & Windows on request, but I think if we get
the above all running, that’s a good enough chunk of work :)

>>> In Vienna we talked a bit about how to configure various build matrixes and the
current idea is to use something like .travis.yml to define what combinations of configurations
a particular branch is supposed to build on. Again, I’ll leave it to Dave to go into the
details.

list. I want to help with CI. I've been reading the email archives and https://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/CI.